New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY running deer target system?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking into what it takes to run moving targets. It can obviously be done with some guy hauling on a rope and pulley system I am thinking of both a perpendicular crossing target system and a "charging" target system where the target rushes toward the shooter's position. It would also be nice to be able to rig a turning target system.
Has anyone here built or operated any of these, powered or non-powered?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Contact the guy who runs the Safari Challenge in Libby, MT. He has all kinds of set-ups.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the April 1957 issue of "Guns" magazine. It shows a photo of the running deer trolley rig used in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. (The Russians cleaned up with rifles built on Ross actions.) I can't post photos, or I'd put it up or send it to you.

If you don't want to lay down some tube rails and a berm, you could run the target frame hung from a taut cable, although Murphy's Law dictates that some gonzo spaz is bound to shoot out the cable sooner or later. Movement can be imparted by an inverted pulley block system (short drop, heavy weight, converted to long travel).

Posts: 274 | Registered: 01 January 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Hannay, that was great thread you linked to. Anything we put together here will be much, much cruder!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Growing up in South Dakota we trained on our running shots by putting cardboard inside of tires and rolling them down large pasture hills. Quite the challenge as a youngster but you soon got the feeling of it. My first deer rifle was an open sighted 300 savage lever and I got quite accurate with that setup. It was hard switching to a scoped rifle when I got older.

Posts: 84 | Registered: 15 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard of this ... and forgot all about it. Thanks for the prompt!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Growing up in South Dakota we trained on our running shots by putting cardboard inside of tires and rolling them down large pasture hills. Quite the challenge as a youngster but you soon got the feeling of it

Did that in the '50s. On the right hill the tire bounces like a running deer.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
years ago saw a video on tv by Dick Idol with a set up using a weedeater to move the target mounted on a cable

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

Posts: 566 | Registered: 09 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
years ago saw a video on tv by Dick Idol with a set up using a weedeater to move the target mounted on a cable

Weedeater? That sounds like a pretty fast-moving target! I've had great success building different machines using treadmill motors. Plenty of power, and they're designed for variable speeds.

Posts: 274 | Registered: 01 January 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used mechanical cow for training cutting horses
"cow cutter"

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This^^^

They are fairly economical. They are everywhere in our part of the country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an idea for a couple of horizontally mounted bicycle rims, mounted a couple meters high on poles with cross arms like an old style power line. Mount wheels rims under the cross arm with a lag bolt acting as an axle and up into the cross arm. With gears on one of the rims, and a old chain drive garage door opener connected to the hub gears. A cable could be run around the rims like a clothesline. A target suspended on two drop cables would easily go around the rim and back the other way. Simple. Variable speed. Cheap. Remote control. Still have to build it though.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post