New
Find
Notify
Tools

bench plans?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
googled shooting bench plans and what i found was mostly descriptions, not plans. wanna make a sturdy one w/runners (like a sled) so can be towed to diff. locations. any help appreciated. thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What do you plan on running the runners on, snow, sand , grass or ? Also, how far do you plan on towing it?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hard packed dirt, maybe 50-100 yds.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If I wanted to make a cheap one, I would use 2 of the "skid type" pallets for the base. Like the one on the top ot the bottom of this pic:

And put a plywood floor on it, then either build a table or find a sturdy metal table and attach it to the topside of the pallet:

or like I said build one from 2X4's and plywood. Should be light enough to drag and sturdy enough to shoot from.

At the moment I am building a shooting bench from an old concrete form but it is not going to be portable.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks. we need to make it pretty sturdy, and i don't think that would skid along in the dirt very easily. i think it would dig in pretty quick. think i am just gonna slap one together out of 4x4's and 2 bys etc like i have seen pics of and put a sled type runner on the sides.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's hard packed dirt, why a sled rather than a small utility trailer?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
runners would involve 2 2x4s rounded at the ends. trailer would involve wheels, axles, platform, etc etc. lot simpler this way, i think. did it years ago, in the 80's and it worked out pretty good. bench will only need to be moved a coupla times or so a year, and short distances.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book "Do It Yourself Gunsmithing" by Jim Carmichel has full plans for both a skid/sled bench and a heavy all-concrete bench.

This book is kind of old, published by Outdoor Life Books back in 1977. You might come across it at a used bookstore or a library. I'm not sure if it's safe to scan in stuff from books of that vintage or I'd just post the pics here.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i actually had that book, and a few others way back when and then tried a coupla things in it. that didn't last long! but thanks, i'll see if i can find a copy somewhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a guy on 24hr campfire a few years ago that went by TXRam who sold some bracket kits for building your own shooting bench. The kit also came with a tabletop bench template which came in handy.

You took two pieces of 3/4" plywood and glued them together, layed the template over that and cut out the top. You bolted his brackets to the table and screwed in galvanized water pipe with end caps which you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

It is without a doubt the most stable portable bench I have ever seen or used.

You might want to look him up and see if he still has any.

It's not a "skid" but it's portable, sturdy and with the three leg design it's always planted solid.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank looks really good Terry. Looks like just the thing to have around for mobile shooting like at a range or for p-dogs or maybe even checking zero when you reach some destination for a hunting trip. It's certainly easy to build. If you don't have the capability of welding, you could use tapered wood pads to make the leg angles and use off the shelf floor flanges to fit your pipe. That makes it a simple wood working project.

You could even make it heavier (but less portable) by adding a third layer of plywood to the top, filling the leg pipes with something, and/or welding some short spikes onto the pipe caps so it doesn't move around - if this would even be needed. I probably have all the stuff needed to make this just laying around here too!

Just a note to anyone wanting to build this sort of thing: make sure to coat the pipe threads on any joints you want to remain removable with some sort of anti-seize or anti-rust substance. Even plain bearing grease works ok. Unprotected pipe threads will rust even indoors with just a little humidity. The pipe may be galvanized and well protected, but the threads are not. I made a portable reloading bench with this sort of setup and the pipes are now nicely rusted together.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your suggestion about coating the threads is spot on. I store this bench in my garage unassembled and have nothing on the threads. As you can see in the pictures they are covered in rust. I need to do this ASAP. The bench is extremely solid.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
runners would involve 2 2x4s rounded at the ends. trailer would involve wheels, axles, platform, etc etc. lot simpler this way, i think. did it years ago, in the 80's and it worked out pretty good. bench will only need to be moved a coupla times or so a year, and short distances.

If you still are thinking about putting runners on it, it just occurred to me that some used skis from goodwill screwed to the bottom would be pretty durable in addition to economical.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
There was a guy on 24hr campfire a few years ago that went by TXRam who sold some bracket kits for building your own shooting bench. The kit also came with a tabletop bench template which came in handy.
Terry

I PM'd TXRam over there on 24hr Campfire, he said he isn't the one that makes those. He suggested searching in the classifieds there to find who it was, but I've had no luck with that. Any other guess on what the user id might be for the person that makes and sells those?

Thanks for your time.

Darby

Posts: 58 | Registered: 25 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the guys info from another member on 24hr:
quote:

The man who makes the brackets is: Bob Hagara
PO Box 511
Ferron, Utah 84532

I had him make me a set for 1" legs back in March of 2010.
Good luck!

Bob Hagara's phone number is (435)637-6233.

Posts: 58 | Registered: 25 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post