New
Find
Notify
Tools

Circular Saw recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My old Craftsman finally died after 20+years.

Not real impressed w/them anymore.

Salesman at Lowe's recommended an Hitachi for aobut $80.00 Any one use these? How well do they hold up? They've got a 5 year warranty, while most of the others are alot less.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont have a Hitachi circular saw, but I do have a cordless drill, a hammer drill and 12" dual bevel compound miter saw by Hitachi. I like them all very much and as my other power tools die, I will replace them with a Hitachi.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Skill 77 has been very heavily used in the last 25yrs. I'd bet it's still good for at least another 25.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
My Skill 77 has been very heavily used in the last 25yrs. I'd bet it's still good for at least another 25.

A 16 lb worm drive for a weekend DIY'er.....

Really?

Most pro's don't run that saw the way intended.I have the 8 1/2" version for heavy framing and although it's a great saw, it's also a beast for the average DIY guy.

You'll be fine with the Hitachi. I've owned various through the years (25+ in the business);no fleas on the Hitachi stuff. I've never owned their saw, but have a drywall gun, power plane, and 2 of their older 8 1/4" slide compounds.....all have been fine.

I like the Makita basic skil type saw as an alternative if asked to compare.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run a Porta Cable 15amp. with the optional laser. It's a good saw with a lot of power. The laser is pretty handy when making long cuts.

I think they sell them at Lowes.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Bosch worm drive. Very nice, something your kids can fight over once you are gone.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the porter cables. I opted for the ones with the brake. Nice not to have to wait for the blade to stop spinning. I never did buy into the lasers, seems like a gimmick to me.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!
Anyone else?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I like the porter cables. I opted for the ones with the brake. Nice not to have to wait for the blade to stop spinning. I never did buy into the lasers, seems like a gimmick to me.
Don

The laser is a really nice option. It seemed gimmiky to me too until I actually used one. Imagine ripping a 4'X8' sheet of ???? or a 16' lenth of masonite. You pop a chalk line and start your cut. After the cut is started you keep your laser line on top of you chalk line and the cut turns out perfect every time. You don't have to watch the blade in relation to the line and it's a lot more precise than using the notch on the guide plate. It just makes the job easier and more precise.

I don't find it very useful for cross cuts on lumber like 2X4's and such and leave it turned off except for long cuts.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pc or makita

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

Posts: 571 | Registered: 09 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to a guy at Lowe's...he says they can order anything from the manufacturers they carry!

So now I'm thinking I might just get a Bosch to go w/my 36Volt Hammer Drill instead of a corded saw.

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Porter-Cable as well. Best saw for the money for sure. Lasers? Nope, a portable/adjustable full length fence, clamped to the stock being cut to run the base against is fool proof and exact to your setting. The best way to get the straightest and most accurate cut out of a portable circular saw...period.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lasted 20 years ? Sadly things have changed a lot in 20 years .Most power tools are now made in China !
I usually get Milwaukee and have had good success.I suggest you get a good brand even though higher price to get the quality.

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine are both craftsmman -- i want lefthanded worm drives, if i ever replace them .. i am right handed, and have better control with my right hand

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Milwaukee saws.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post