New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple Shop Alarm Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been thinking about installing some type of horn or siren alarm system for my shop. Got one door and no windows. Thinking all I need is a trip switch for the door with a delay so I can get in and turn it off.

Surely someone has done this budget system before.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 930 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rottweilers are on duty 24/7/365. Works on robbers as well...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but you don't have feed horns or sirens, and they don't shit all over the place , either.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck dealing with www.homesecuritystore.com

DSC and Honeywell systems are GTG.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. They have a lot of good stuff, but all I need is two zone sensors, a delay timer, a power supply and a siren.

Sounds simple enough, but I can't seem to find the basic parts.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 930 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harbor freight has a driveway sensor that works well. I keep the sensor in the console of my car, which is frequently broken into. When someone opens the console, I hear the chiming. No big alarm sound, but enough. Not an apples to apples deal, but might give ya an idea.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do make a simple motion sensor with a siren on it (at least they used to). Just put it on the wall near the door and it will go off when the door is opened.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
large pressure sensitive mat wired to trigger whatever alarm you choose

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the state of the legal system, 1/4 pound HE and a pressure switch. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All great (?) ideas guys, but I'm looking for a time delay alarm that I can turn off when I come in.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a 2 way switch set up like in a house lighting system.

So you can turn the alarm off at the home walk out to the shop go inside and turn it back on with the switch in side shop. shut it off in the shop go back in the house and turn it back on again.

This link will explain it better than I can I am sure.
http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/...-a-2-way-switch.html

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
All you need is a 2 way switch set up like in a house lighting system.

So you can turn the alarm off at the home walk out to the shop go inside and turn it back on with the switch in side shop. shut it off in the shop go back in the house and turn it back on again.

This link will explain it better than I can I am sure.
http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/...-a-2-way-switch.html

Good concept and it would work, if.... My house was close to my shop.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
Radio Shack had plans and parts for your own alarm system, but I don't think they are in business now.

You need to make a battery back up to respond if they cut the power to the shop. You will need to have open and closed switches. Some books are available of systems.

Motion detectors can be good for inside the building. My system was going off in the middle of the night. Everything appeared OK, but I found a large bull snake inside my shop and it was moving around at night to set off the alarm. Killed that snake!! I had trip wires in several places with one in the attic. A large rat had gotten into the attic and was jumping down on the trip wire to set if off. A large trap worked fine to catch that rat.

I had two 8 inch bells that would wake up the neighbor hood.

Just my 2 cts worth

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A claymore works 24 hrs a day and doesn't eat or shit. However it would be a serious mistake not to disarm it. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post