THE ACCURATE RELOADING DIY FORUM

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to polish an old aluminum boat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any suggestions? I have an old canoe. It is weathered and dull. Any suggestions about the best (easiest) way to go about shining it up?

Posts: 633 | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can think of a couple of methods you might try. I have 2 aluminum boats but have never bothered trying to make them shine. Go to the auto parts store and get some of the cleaner made specifically for aluminum wheels. Careful with it as some of these contain some nasty stuff. It might or might or might not work. Method 2 would be to get some rubbing compound, I like Meguiar's, and go after it with a good random orbit buffer. A lot of work for sure.
C.G.B.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mothers aluminum polish and a foam polishing wheel on a drill or as said above, a buffer.

I just got done doing a set of aluminum rims last week. They looked white and chalky, they were so oxidized. They look like new now. It took about 2 hours to polish all four rims.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a caution: check your rivets after you buff it down. As an old airplane mechanic, we used to buff some airplanes down until they looked like chrome. HOWEVER, polishing does remove some of the outer surface and you can check you rivets. Usually the need for polishing comes from oxidation (if the canoe was steel, you'd say it was rusting. Oxidation is a different kind of rust.) After you finish, you might consider putting a thin coat of wax over it to prolong the shine and slow down the repeat oxidation.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny how we folks are about things.

I was glad when my aluminum canoe finally acquired a a nice dull patina.
Course I like my knives like that also.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep it shiney you might consider taking it to an auto-body or airport paint shop. Have it bead blasted, primed, and 2 part silver painted.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air conditioner exterior condensor coil cleaner

spray it on.....rinse it off

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend some time and elbow grease use Mothers Alum polish on it with a hand applicator.
javascript:void(0)

Once finished you might want to get it clear coated to keep that shine.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys who used to polish truck fuel tanks at truck stops used a wheel that looked like many discs of cloth stitched together on an angle grinder along with bars of jeweler's rouge. They would use a couple different grades of rouge.

Posts: 690 | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some trucking companies use something like "aluma-brite" which is acid based on their aluminum tank trailers. Of corse that wont give a shine perse, but it cleans it up. Might be a good idea to try something like that to get rid of oxidation first and then use a buffer.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There’s quite a bit of info, along with videos on the Airstream forum about polishing aluminum.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military use to use Never Dull (sp). It's a batting type of material impregnated with a polish use to come in a can. I know they polished aluminum aircraft fuselages with it. It's very good.

Posts: 662 | Registered: 15 May 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a guy out here that restores old cars + airstream trailers. When the trailers leave they shine like new. I have no idea what he uses but it must be commercially available to use in that quantity. I use Flitz on S/S but that comes in a tube.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy I know did a total boat restoration, here's what he did with pictures.
https://www.coloradofisherman....new-boat-my-son.html

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a local truck stop around with a chrome shop is the way I do my dog boxes and any other aluminum.

Posts: 457 | Registered: 12 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post