THE ACCURATE RELOADING DIY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  D.I.Y.    Making Holster and Sheaths for Kydex, Boltaron and ABS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making Holster and Sheaths for Kydex, Boltaron and ABS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried this?

I got set up with a toaster oven, Press and industrial heat gun.
I got some fasteners, Kydex, Bolton and ABS and have been making knife sheath out of ABS. I will get to holsters when I figure out what I am doing.
I am starting with ABS because I got a 4x8 ft sheet for about $100 USD, and knife sheaths because they are simple.

ABS becomes formable at around the boiling point of water but is tricky, I have found. One moment it is still too cool to bend and in a few seconds it is too soft to work with. A good glue for ABS is Devcon Plastic Welder.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

I haven't tried it, though I am interested. I've played with making leather sheaths and holsters, and have looked at maybe buying some Kydex to mold into the same.

Interested in your results.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good old leather is such a nice material to work with. These plastics are interesting.

The foam in the press that you make is EVA foam. That foam that is used for kids to play on, and comes in colourful interlocking square, that you can buy in Toy Land, is EVA foam and works perfectly. You Tube has lots of how-to videos. "How to make holsters with Kydex".

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, let's see some "pitchers" of your sheaths.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking, Bill. I am ashamed to say that I don't know how to post photos. If someone who knows how to post photos, will PM me their email address I will send happily them a photo or two. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made quite a few sheaths from kydex. It is easy to work with. I heat it in a toaster oven. You can find videos on YouTube on how to work with it. I always make a template from heavy paper first so I don’t waste material. It is a handy product to have around and can be used for many things.

Posts: 886 | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayman216, Thanks, I do the same. It is nice stuff to work with. Brian