New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY spider-web stock painting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems I have seen a kit or something that allows you to try to duplicate the finish of say, a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. Anyone know about this? A previous owner inlet a large, pot-metal snarling panther into the right side of the butt. I removed it, and now have a big gash to fill and sand. Was thinking that a tan with black spatter webbing finish would make it presentable.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's what I am dealing with. Hard to imagine what would compel a person to inlet such dreck into a stock ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, after poking around on the Net, it looks like Bondo will fill the hole, then it's Rust-Oleum textured paint, then Krylon black webbing paint. Not sure how durable it will be. Might be some kind of top coat I could put over it -- even car wax.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a wooden stock that started similar to what you've got, done pretty much the way you described. I used Krylon clear flat as a top coat and then Johnsons paste wax. It's held up well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, that's exactly the result I would love to achieve. Thanks for posting it.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
This is a wooden stock that started similar to what you've got, done pretty much the way you described. I used Krylon clear flat as a top coat and then Johnsons paste wax. It's held up well.

That looks darn nice.

Mike

Posts: 21172 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hit four stores today and no webbing spray. Will have to go to town ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I was thinkin', you might want to glue or expoxy the panther back into the stock, sand it flush, an then fill the outline joint. That way you'll have a wood plug rather than a wad of bondo in the stock. If you can't find the web paint locally, you can get it from these guys :http://www.misterart.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scratch that idea, didn't catch the pot metal barf part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
barf is right!

Will run to Bend today for the Krylon Webbing paint.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have been a WSU coug alum that did that... Big Grin

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He probably got the idea from an Idaho Vandal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put the stock up on Gunbroker and buy a new one.

Posts: 6379 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have already bondoed the hole flush. Guess I missed my chance to swap in a pot-metal Oregon Duck, eh?
Cool
Craigster, what did you do about paint getting into the inletted areas for the action and barrel? Tape them off? Paint anyway?

– John Green, author