New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass dryer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have switched to the "wet" method of tumbling. It's great - I'm really impressed.

But to dry them I'm not patient enough for the oven or sun treatment so I had my wife watch for a hot air popcorn popper at the Goodwill store. She found one for something like $10 (I think they're only $20 new).

You just shake them a bit in a towel so they're not completely dripping wet then dump a few handfuls down into the popcorn popper (up to 30 or so magnum cases or a whole bunch of smaller cartridges). Shake them around while it's blowing the hot air. You can't leave it on too long because it will get the cases too hot. But run it for a 15 or 20 seconds and then shut it off, shake them around some more, and let them cool a bit. After a few cycles of that they're completely dry in just a couple minutes.

I've been using the same popper for 6 or 8 months and it seems to still be working fine.

Seems like a good way to go to me and it's really quick and cheap.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I am forbidden to use the oven for gun stuff at home. The little heater uses much less electricity and circulates the air. My brother told me to put the brass in a sack and throw it into the dryer, but I thought the heater was a better idea.

Ranb

Your brother's idea will dent the necks. Yours is better.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am being dense but why wouldn't you want to decap them before cleaning? Yes it is an extra step but you also benefit by cleaning the primer pocket at the same time do you not? Just wondering.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes , decap first. Throw them in a pot with some detergent bring to a boil for a bit ,rinse ,put in collander on wood stove ! But I live in the woods !

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Louisiana we are blessed with a lot of warm weather. When I wash cases I use a fluffy towel then put them in an old aluminum collander and stick it on top of the heat pump. Only takes about 1/2 hour to completely dry them. Or after they have been washed get a heavy contractor trash bag (4-6 mils at home depot) and cut ot open so basically you have one sheet of black plastic. Make sure its in the sun and should be completely dry in about an hour. Frank

Posts: 175 | Registered: 16 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't wet tumble just use hot water in a 5 gallon pail with dish soap. stir thee brass around a bit. Remove the brass shake the excess water off then put them in a cake pan setting in the solar melter. About 30 minutes and they are ready. Winter time I put them in a onion sack or and old pair of nylons and hang in my wood burning furnace room.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am retired, my wife has five more months to go til retirement. I just deprime and run them thru the dishwasher...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's cool! during the warm months, I blow each case out one by one with 100 psi from my air compressor - both ends.

During the Winter I put the brass in small closet in part of the house that has a thermostat for 2 rooms and crank it up for a few days.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bake them in the oven at 130 F for about 45 minutes.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post