New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target Holder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You will need 6 pieces of 1 1/2" PVC 2 feet long. 4--- 1 1/2" elbows and 2 1 1/2" tees. On the two tees place a piece of PVC into the two ends that are across from each other and on the end that sticks out from the tee place an elbow. Now use the two remaining 2 foot pieces of PVC and place into the two openings on the elbow. You now have a rectangle with a Tee in the middle of the long leg. The tee opening will be pointing up when the rectangle is laying flat. You will place slats into the tee opening that will be sticking up--slats to be length you want your target off the ground. Staple cardboard to the slats and your target will staple onto the cardboard. Of course you can now just lift the slats out and you have a flat PVC frame. When you go shooting carry a milk jug full of water and when you lay the frame on the ground, fill it with water to give it weight and more stability in the wind. It is optional whether you cement the joints, the water is not under pressure so it should not leak out. This frame will hang flat against the wall for storage. The sizes can be changed to suit your needs, I used 1 1/2" PVC so it would be large enough to accommodate slats. You could use small tree limbs instead of slats. If you have table saw it's easy to make the slats.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Build mine out of 2x4s and tac or staple heavy card bord to it..has two 1x2 legs attached to the top that roll back for a stand nailed into the top of the frame..kinda like a folding chair..Cheap, easy to build and you have to change the cardboard twice a year, just nail it over the old one..heavy enough that wind doesn't move it at all..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using wooden pallets last couple of years. Multiple places have them just for the asking. Just get a three- four ft 2x4 -- lean the pallet backwards and brace with 2x4-- one in the middle does fine. Get used cardboard boxes from most any retail place free and tack them to the front then whatever targets you want-- just be sure none of your bullseyes are in the middle to save your 2x4 brace

It's the hunt, not the kill

Posts: 17 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a 1000 words

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Informative reference.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thank you.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with gathering up some of the political signs littering the landscape and using them.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you get the owners of the signs to hold them for you first?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is correct. Picture worth a thousand words. Thanks CVYCBOB for posting the pictures. The pictures you posted are very similar to what I attempted to describe. The portion that sets on the ground in your picture is U shaped where mine makes a rectangle.(Where yours has an open end, mine has cross member). Either way works. The idea behind this is to be portable, easily set up, easily stored and it does fit the bill. PVC is fairly cheap and this set up probably last a lifetime.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
can you get the owners of the signs to hold them for you first?

Don't know if you have them in NZ, but the things I'm talking about are simple wire arrangements that you can stick in the ground. They are cheap and candidates have them made up by the hundreds. They give bundles of them to their campaign workers with instructions: "go ye forth and litter". They put them on street right of ways, people's yards (usually without permission)and anywhere else where they might be seen. They are supposed to remove them after the election but rarely do.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's one:

Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built one on my property down in the valley. I Formed up ,then filled w/ concrete making essentially a pillbox;then brought in a backhoe + covered it with several tons of caliche.On the front I framed in railroad ties + faced that w/ plywood to have a flat surface to mount the targets. Then I built several concrete benches set at 25 yd. distances.w shelves underneath to keep the sandbags out of the weather.Even with all that eventually it will be shot out.Shortly after it started to go south over the years some idiot bought the property behind me + built his house right behind my backstop.Being "Good neighbor Sam" I moved everything 180 degrees + put in a stock tank where the previous range had been.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addendum; after a couple of years some woman bought the property at the other end + put up a horse barn behind my new backstop. Screw em',I'm done making nice.Would hate to shoot a horse
(some people deserve it)but it does limit me to only use my range myself + not allow anyone else access.Hell,it's MY range.Sign of the times.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman, that would certainly be a portable set up you described. The intent of this holder.