New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was thinking of making a light weight, fold flat rest. it only adjusts about an 1".

in the mean time I ordered this frm the NRA

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Want to build one that is:

a. cheap
b. easy to construct
c. offers much more adjustment
d. offers infinite adjustment

The answer is waiting at your local junkyard. Just buy a scissors tire jack and crank from a wrecked car. Preferably a small car.
Mount a 1" thick by 6" wide, by 8" long board, make a small, like 1/2" wide by 1/2 high wood dam around the edge, and stick your front rest on it.

You're welcome...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 - Light
2 - Compact
3 - Easy to build

Built this over 20 years ago. Threaded thumbwheel fine adjustment. Thumb screw adjustment on the other side. assembled with threaded inserts so I can unscrew 8 screws to take it apart.

I use it for bore sighting and mounting scopes.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the intended use for the rest. I built one several years ago but it wasn't exactly easy.

I would post a picture but I can't figure out exactly how.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the range I go to probably 95% of the rests used for shooting sporting rifles are attached bipods. Over the years I have made rests and used sand bags or folded up jackets if I've forgotten to bring a rest but now I also use a bipod.

They are good in that they hold the rifle securely on the mound or bench, makes it easy to do scope adjustments and duplicates the conditions the rifle will be used in the field almost universal here in NZ anyway, with a bipod attached.

I find bipods are great in camp where the rifle can be set down on wet ground or snow and be kept dry and out of the snow and dirt etc. Another advantage I'm finding with a bipod attached is that it adds a little bit of steadying forward weight to the light weight rifles so popular now when taking off hand shots.
Also useful when cleaning rifles.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

a. cheap
b. easy to construct

The answer is waiting at your local junkyard. Just buy a scissors tire jack and crank from a wrecked car. Preferably a small car.
Mount a 1" thick by 6" wide, by 8" long board, make a small, like 1/2" wide by 1/2 high wood dam around the edge, and stick your front rest on it.

You're welcome...

Rich

Pretty good idea...wish I'd thought of it. It works surprisingly well. Thanks!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2722 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

a. cheap
b. easy to construct

You're welcome...

Rich

That may be the best use I have ever heard of for those things.. Big Grin

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure beats trying to use one to change a tire!

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and contact Buffalo Arms in Northern Idhao, they have a beautiful fold flat with a one inch thick top. with a cut out for proper position for just a bit over $100. bucks..I love mine, after a lifetime of searching for one, and wasting a ton of money on flimsy rests..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post