New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rugged Buddy bench
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Building a range bench, first one is for the indoor pistol range. More and more guys are getting back into .22 rifle and we have a few junior members that shoot .22 and once in a while the boy scouts make a visit. The stand up benches we have are for the bullseye pistol guys. I'm putting a 1.25" pine lip around 3 sides.
The biscuits aren't necessary, I should have just glued it up and popped some finish nails in.

Posts: 6351 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top is just about done, needs a few coats of finish then I'll attach the legs.

Posts: 6351 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
NICE WORK.
I would appreciate some measurements so I can build a couple for grandkids.

PS : I plan on using biscuits also. They make things last

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top is 2'x4' with 5/8" clear pine edging.
I may use a 60deg angle instead of 45deg on the next one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished. I have to say this is a portable shooting bench. NOT a Benchrest bench.

from the back, I chose to keep the legs in line.

It's 35 inches high, yes if you are short and use a standard folding chair you may need a vintage manhattan phone book

the legs fold kinda flat BUT they don't lock closed only open. The open lock is very good.

My idea is maybe to cut a cube of wood to fit between the leg bracket and lock plate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice little bench. I have a homemade bench with a very similar shaped top. I screwed a piece of 2x4 to the bottom and set the top on an old B&D workmate bench. Tighten up the workmate on the 2x4 and it makes a solid shooting table. A portable chair of the correct height makes a handy portable table for shooting goghers, praire dogs etc.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those Rugged Buddy legs are great. I've used two sets, one for a shooting bench and one for a portable table for my disabled nephew's hand cycle. Solid and easy to fold.

Posts: 275 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Rich!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have since switched points to one with the target crank on the right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich, the legs come in two heights on Amazon. Which height did you choose?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tall legs . I think are 34 inch. It might be high for the vertically challenged.

Be careful if you offset the legs left or right. The span (width) is close to the width of the table (20-24 inches)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post