Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found this while searching Google for "surface grind mauser"

Hobbyist makes his own M98 receiver (not the bolt) from scratch after teaching himself.

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/boltaction.htm

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i read this though.. some clever ideas.. but dang, i am glad i don't have to do this

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the original Mauser factory had around 660 steps making a M98.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mauser had the resources to build 3K or 4k a day.
Building receivers is much easier when you have a machine and or fixture designed to make each cut - not to mention highly skilled personel that may have been doing that work for decades.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember that a lot of the work was accomplished by forging. When you mass produce, you can invest the money to forge parts. Having read this article many years ago and having completely scratch built two 98 clones when I was in my early 20's (about 35 years ago), I will tell you that I would have much rather started with a forged bolt and receiver.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back there was a fellow on the forum who decided to make his own rifle .When finished he proceeded to win his country's championship !! tu2

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I read somewhere that the original Mauser factory had around 660 steps making a M98.

It would be interesting to know how many steps there were in making this receiver alone.

I did find it odd that he went to so much trouble to recreate the "Mauser look" in so many areas, but cut corners in other areas(the recoil lug, for example).

And, as I am too lazy to read the whole thing, can anyone tell me how he his receiver accomplishes primary extraction? It looks like he omitted the cam at the rear of the receiver bridge.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why go through all the trouble of making a 98 when a 700 or savage is so much simpler.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any simple designs for a cartridge based firearm that is possible to make or copy with hand tools in a "reasonable" amount of time? I know you can buy unfinished AR receivers and finish them but I'm thinking something more like copying the parts of a falling block single shot.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Scott:
Are there any simple designs for a cartridge based firearm that is possible to make or copy with hand tools in a "reasonable" amount of time? I know you can buy unfinished AR receivers and finish them but I'm thinking something more like copying the parts of a falling block single shot.

"A Rifle Anyone Can Build", on Amazon.com...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post