THE ACCURATE RELOADING DIY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  D.I.Y.    No Hardware Rifle Sling - Requires No Mod To Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Hardware Rifle Sling - Requires No Mod To Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have owned several older rifles that had no sling swivels.
I don't believe in modifying old firearms, so went without a sling for many, many years.
I recently bought a 22 for my son. It is a pre-64 Winchester pump 22, and has nothing to acomadate a sling.
After plenty of thought, here is what I came up with that works:
Acquired a 1 inch men's solid leather belt, about 48 inches.
Removed the belt buckle.
Moved up about 4 inches from the belt end and made a 2 inch lengthwise slit, then leaving about 1 inch uncut, made a second 2 inch lengthwise slit.
I folded the belt so that both slits were aligned and slid the rifle barrel through the twoslits.
I then made holes that allowed me to snugly lace the 4 inch part to the mating part of the belt. The 1 inch section stays on top of the barrel and the bottom is snugged below the barrel with lacing.
I then wrapped the other end of the belt around the wrist behind the pistol grip and made holes to lace that end snugly to the mating part.
The result is a totally functional sling that will not require any modification to your rifle.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob

How about a photo ?

A picture says a thousand words !

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe in modifying old firearms

Unlike Bob I have no problem modifying older firearms. Unless it really reduces the value.

But on well used models that isn't a problem.

Some thing that's really a collector I wouldn't but unless the buy was cheap I wouldn't buy it.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dislike slings to start with, prefer gun in hand at all times..however I do carry a length of 1/4 inch rope in my pocket in case I need to pack meat..I also have a length of 3/4" flat leather both ends cut to about a 1/4 inch taper with a hole punched in the leather..A section of leather shoe string ties one end to the barrel and the other end to the butt or grip. Very compact and seldom used, but its there when needed...I would not modify any older rifle unless it was just a junker to start with, but all mine are early Winchester 94, 71 and 86s depending on the time of the year, or what I have on hand at the time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6355 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
richj,
I like the pic, but not sure how to make it a DIY process. Several challenges.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uncle Mikes has had a no alteration sling for some time. Two cinch loops fore and aft.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A piece of cotton rope works as well as anything, but I only use it when Im packing or dragging something out to the Pickup or whatever..Its also handy for hanging a hunt'en buddy who shoots something in a very bad spot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post