New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple gun designs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Other than zip guns and muzzle loaders, what are some of the simplest gun designs with the fewest number of parts? Are there any that an average guy with some mechanical skills could make with only hand tools?

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the JACO designs, they are simple and can be built with hand tools. With some refinement they could even be kinda decent looking. The prints can be found online for free, do a search and you should find lots of references to JACO Pistols and Rifles.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much! That looks like a good place to start. I'm also looking at the underhammer muzzleloader locks and wondering if there is a way to adapt one to a rimfire cartridge.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also found a bunch of ideas in the homegunsmith.com forums.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look at an old M3 .45 ACP Grease Gun for inspiration, hard to make anything go bang with fewer moving parts.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9402 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True: open bolt slam fire is the simple way to do it; but don't make one with a magazine; it has to be single shot. Even with a disconnector, the BATF frowns on them. To easy to make full auto.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Northeern Ireland, during the "troubles" the loyalist paramilitaries made square section smgs. Basically a Sten "knock off" but made from the square section steel tube used by furniture makers.

Or Google the Rhodesia War LDP pistol.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wern't sten knockoffs made by resistance fighters during WWII In bike shops?

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a book on building a falling block single shot, can't remember who wrote it and I am not anywhere near it at this time. Think I ordered it out of RIFLE magazine.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rollingblock design is pretty simple

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1326 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post