scope caps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone make your own scope covers?

Posts: 363 | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I have not. I have, however, bought and placed ScopeCoat scope covers on all of my current rifle scopes. They are, in my opinion, the Cat's meow for scopes. Big Grin

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just cut ours from old inner tubes. I still use them hunting.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on the inner tube trick thing

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my scopes has the regular rear cover but the front objective I made from a Skool snuff can cover. The objective was too big.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote on cut innertubes also, that's all I have ever used or ever will..I cut up several dozen for my saddle horn for team roping and use them for scope covers, best I know of,flip the off and they go flying out of the way, pick them up and or just keep walking, they don't cost a thing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I use ScopeCoat scope covers is to cover the entire scope, not just the ends and sides. But, I can understand the use of inner tubes if you don't care to cover the top and most of the bottom of the scope. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the way they shoot off the gun in a hurry out there about 5 or 10 feet..I don't worry about protecting a scope or gun within reason I expect it to have some scars that make great memories..I do want the lens clear of water, mud and dust when I shoot. I susppose if one is babying his fine rifle a gun slip would be the best..I on the other hand use the hell out of a gun, but Im into stocking so Ican always refinish one if I take a notion..

Its all in the mind of the beholder and there is no wrong way to approach this problem..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in hearing what other people use for scope covers when guns are in a rack or safe. My guns either just have the factory end covers that I take off when the guns get taken out, or I'll have a flip up cover usually on just the objective. That's because in my experience the only time a cover is critical is when it's raining and a wet objective is usually pretty much unusable in my experience. Where I'm at everything is short/medium ranges and a fair amount of cover so shots are pretty quick or they're gone. If it's raining the ocular is still useable most of the time and if not then a quick swipe of the thumb cleans it, but that objective is a different story. Plus with the muzzle up the ocular is somewhat protected anyway. A different environment will be a separate story of course but in moderate or thick cover where weather can be a factor IMHO a flip up front cap is hard to beat.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of these that came on the scope of a used rifle and scope buy. they are see thru by butler creek about $10.00
I like them ok.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cut up two pair of leaky neoprene chest waders and made 33 scope covers. From 1.5-5x20 scopes up to 6.5-20x40, plus a Unertl vulture and a 20x60 spotting scope. All made to fit each scope.

You can't beat neoprene covers for in a safe, but I also use them for hunting.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 15 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be interested in hearing what other people use for scope covers when guns are in a rack or safe.

While in the safe, mine all wear neoprene scope covers that I have purchased from Scope Coat. All of my firearms are also in Gun socks. That keeps the marring and marks down while moving them in and out of the safe. I had one of my pistols accidently fall on the eye piece end of one of my Swarovski scopes the other day and fortunately the scope had the neoprene scope cover on and was in the gun sock. If not, it would have likely damaged the scope eye piece. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used most sorts of caps over my decades of hunting including the homemade inner tube variety but now find the neoprene full scope cover from Butler Creek or Allen the best. Not only do they cover the whole scope but they also provide some protection from the elements for the rifle action keeping out snow, rain and vegetation when bush hunting etc.
If the weather is good and the cover not needed the neoprene cover just scrunches up in a pocket

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes , I go with tradition and beauty by using ...leather.
Leather traditional are a desirable way to protect and enhance a fine rifle .
But...you must learn to use saddle stitch first . I can hear the groans but it is easy to learn and the results are very satisfying .Not only can you make scope covers but scope leather quivers ( as the Germans call them )and many other shooting items .
The beauty of old fashined leather .

Posts: 45 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post