New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Trap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay guys I need your help on a project. I'm building a pistol/revolver bullet trap. I'm using the square funnel into a pipe type. I got the steel triangles cut out to make the square funnel and I have them welded together. I need to know what size would you make the hole at the small in for the bullet to funnel through. The hole will be square when I cut the point off. I was thinking the smallest would be 1 inch. What say you all?

Next when I cut the square hole in the pipe to insert the funnel, do I insert the funnel through with some stick out on the inside of the pipe to prevent a bullet from going around the inside of the pipe and coming back out the funnel if I were to insert it flush with the inside of the pipe.

Your help and input is much appreciated.

Posts: 662 | Registered: 15 May 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you have your reasons but I don't know why. One could also build a 50 ' tower water-filled + achieve the same thing if all you wanted to do was to recover the spent projectile. As to issues of performance I call your attention to what we always used as the "wet phone book" school of performance. It will give you damned near all the performance data you want. Now due to the internet, not many phone books around. That does not really break my heart.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman I just want to be able to re-salvage my lead for remelting.

Posts: 662 | Registered: 15 May 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built mine ...
It has an open face , about 30 square with a 3/4 plywood covering to staple targets on ..
My sides are straight , just the roof slopes down toward the rear... I used a piece of well casing pipe , with a slot cut in it -to catch the lead and " spin it " .. hard to explain, but works very well ...

I can remove my face plywood , and clean lt out ...eventually you have to replace the plywood face ... but it takes a long time

I used AR plate ...

Also put old blanket on top , to deaden the sound ..

I also shoot my pellet guns , 22's , and 38 wad cutters ...

I do this in my basement...

Hope this helps

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1291 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made several that work great.

2 foot section of 9 1/2" steel pipe, with a
leg on the front and 1 1/2" turned to fit
cap welded on the the back. Have one in my
shop I've shot hundreds of .45 Colts and many
others into. Even Dad's .375 H&H with 300gr a
few times.

I set it at a slight angle enough the slugs
hit the side of the pipe so they won't eat up
the inside of the end cap.
So far there hasn't been any sign of denting
the pipe or any cutting into the end cap inside.

I've used it about 6-8 years and pulled two hunks of lead out to remelt. Neither one was
stuck to the end cap as I figured it would.

Late gun smith here had one he had sand in.

I use a couple magnets, one on top and bottom
to hold a typing paper with a circle or spot
to shoot at.

I do have a lathe and can go to a steel fabricating, cutting outlet and get discs they've torched out. Then I weld a 1" round or
pipe stub to chuck it up with and turn the outer edge to fit the pipe I plan to weld it
onto.
To make it fit easier, I leave a lip about half the thickness of the plate. Easy to do on the lathe.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures please Big Grin

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will need to put my shoes on and go into the shop to take them.

Give me a phone number to text them to.

IF it snows over night again, it'll be when
it dries off.

I'm mostly crippled up so it's a real SOB
for me to go out there and take these pictures.

You'll have to post 'em.

What's so hard to "see"? It's just a 9" pipe
2ft long with a steel plate welded on the back end. Anyone with any imagination can picture that. Can you??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post