New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY budget case tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to the local thrift store and picked up a used Ice cream maker with the electric motor on top of it for about 5 bucks. Removed the plastic mixing blade, placed some thin adhesive backed rubberized material on the inside (probably not really even needed to work) then took a simple piece of 2X4 about 6 or 8 " long and screwed it to the side of the outer container for the purpose of setting the ice cream maker on its side while running.

Then just add some tumbling media and voila.. Youve got a brass tumbler for less than the cost of the media. I did this several years ago and am still using it today. It works great. The only shortcoming is that it slowly trickles some of the media out of the metal container while running, but it is caught in the outer container (that the ice goes in for making ice cream) and all you have to do is pour it back into the inner metal container after it runs.

Hey, it works!!

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at making a tumbler for removing the media from the brass. I'm sure I can make one from scrap instead of paying $20 plus shipping for one online.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use and old montgomery wards rock & gem polisher, w/ a plastic 1# coffee can w/ screw on lid

Posts: 26 | Location: Glenrock, WY | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first one was a vibrating foot massager. Got it at a garage sale for about 5 bucks. Just fill it with media and throw in the brass. Worked great!

Posts: 167 | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post