New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Bear Repeller
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
Had a moment of creative inspiration, when a lot of people are telling me about bears getting into their garbage around here lately: Took one of those party poppers, the ones where you pull the string, and streamers come out. Dumped the streamers out, loaded about 2 spoons of Superhot Cayenne inside, and put the cardboard lid back on. Waterproofed the cardboard and string with some wood glue, spliced a longer string on, and wrapped half a strip of bacon around it, tied with another string. Gave it to the barmaid at the Am.Legion, who has a daily bear problem, told her to tie it to a tree branch, higher than the local dogs can jump. Eagerly awaiting the results---I can picture the bear biting on the bacon, and getting an instant cayenne pepper mouthful. Would make a good video.
PS: Yes we have bears in Bearsville!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a guy tell me once about a blasting cap in a handfull of hamburger. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In places in Australia they put deternators inside of spuds and lay them out for feral pig control. When porky bites down on said spud the det removes his head.
They use this in place of laying 1080 baits were there is a risk of it getting into the water table etc

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornet nick:
In places in Australia they put deternators inside of spuds and lay them out for feral pig control. When porky bites down on said spud the det removes his head.
They use this in place of laying 1080 baits were there is a risk of it getting into the water table etc

I'd pay to see that!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smash a glass jar, and stick it in a ball of ground meat. It's not real fast, but it is 100% effective. Especially on wolves...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
smash a glass jar, and stick it in a ball of ground meat. It's not real fast, but it is 100% effective. Especially on wolves...

Damn!, that would be almost as much fun as feeding Alka-Selzers to sea gulls.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ground glass is an extremely cruel and painful death. I don't hate anything in nature bad enough to do that. Shame on anyone for treating a wild animal like that.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You obviously have not had wolves introduced in to your hunting area.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take my two ex wives along and when the bear is sighted just mention that their spousal support will be a week late.
The bear won't stand a chance.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Take my two ex wives along and when the bear is sighted just mention that their spousal support will be a week late.
The bear won't stand a chance.

Jim

Now that is what I would call cruel! Poor bear.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was up in Alaska bear hunting my guide told me for problem bears some people would wrap bacon around a can of Raid.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
In NYC recently an apartment building was blown up with large fire when someone set of a case of insecticide !!

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good DIY handload works wonders in close quarters..

I can't imagine how many hickers, Idaho boyscouts, fishermen, Easter egg hunters a bear with a belly full of glass would eat before expiring!

But if you insist then for Petes sakes do it up in Ketchum and Sun Valley where all the crying liberals live, that's allowable! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Damn!, that would be almost as much fun as feeding Alka-Selzers to sea gulls.

My old man used carbide and watched them explode

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A good DIY handload works wonders in close quarters..

I can't imagine how many hickers, Idaho boyscouts, fishermen, Easter egg hunters a bear with a belly full of glass would eat before expiring!

But if you insist then for Petes sakes do it up in Ketchum and Sun Valley where all the crying liberals live, that's allowable! rotflmo

Had a Grizzly here, broke into a forestry cabin and ate a 5 gallon pail of white paint. Next stop was a trapper's cabin, down river, leaving white cow pies everywhere. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post