New
Find
Notify
Tools

shoot & see target
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was out at the range the other day & there were they 2 guys shooting at a black piece of cardboard with red pasters. they had set up at 200 & 400 yds. I asked them how they could see the holes in the black cardboard. They had made their own shoot & see target by painting the cardboard 1st silver then black. The silver paint showed up on the edge of the bullet holes just fine

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty clever. I wonder if these targets were made for less than commercial shoot and see targets cost?

Posts: 2864 | Registered: 06 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read about people making thier own by spray painting wax paper with flat black spray paint and putting a red target dot on it. They say the black paint flakes off the wax paper when hit with a bullet leaving a nice white outline around the bullet strike.

I haven't tried it myself though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an advantage as I have a metal shop. Galv. scrap makes a great target.Check your local sheet metal shop for scrap.Some will give it to you,some won't.If you want to spend money then spray paint it white or red...or use duct tape.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some good tu2 ideas here.

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are some great ideas.

Norman (or anyone else who knows), could I have some more info on the galvanized idea. What do the holes look like downrange? Does everything go through it?

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took pink poster board and covered it with strips of packing tape. Then you spray it with black paint. Works great. Nice thing is all you have to do is re-spray it and you can keep using it over and over again until it disintegrates.

Posts: 633 | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a roll of white freezer paper. Paint the slick side with black ACRYLIC paint. The acrylic will slake off when hit by the bullet exposing the white paper underneath.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the old time enameled steel refrigerators were the original shoot-n-see targets.. A 22LR hit looked like it was shot with a 12 ga slug!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
A large piece of plastic cut from a bag works well; just paint it black (if white) and shoot.

In AZ I just paint a rock black with a small aiming circle; if I haven't shot at the rock before I can just pick a spot and let it rip.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its hard to measure splatter holes accurately, I like a white target and a clean cut..Plus I get a better picture with my spotting scope as a rule.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post