New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old powder cans/bottles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I keep old plastic powder containers just in case I split a 4/5/8 pounder with someone.

The tall Reloder bottles are great for bulk pack bullets

400+ 240gr 44mags
450+ 230gr 45acp
500+ 165gr 10mm

Just don't drop the bottles. Cool

Posts: 6359 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate those new round space wasting bottles. I save the rectangle 1 pound cans for when I break down the bigger jugs to a more manageable container. I have a lot of old oil bottles I have cleaned out and regaled for powder also so I can get rid of those round space wasters.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alleyyooper:
I have a lot of old oil bottles I have cleaned out and regaled for powder also so I can get rid of those round space wasters.

Big Grin Al

How much powder do they hold?

NRA, Grass Roots North Carolina,Tea Party Patriots, National Association of Gun Rights, PHAshoots.net.

I drank the blue kool-aid - will work for brass.

Posts: 55 | Location: Lexington, NC | Registered: 24 October 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
They hold a pound of IMR powder and probably the same amount of Green dot. Never had a reason to weight the green dot.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of old tin powder cans, and some RL plastic containers..Im thinking someday the cans will become collectable, but they better hurry in my case!!

I also have a few of those old cardboard square cans or containers, Hogden I believe. The new plastic stuff I keep incase I need to pull bullets and save powder, but when they get to be too many I dump them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can relate to that Ray. I have a bunch of old metal cans as well. In the early 80s I bought a bulk load of BL-C-2 + spray painted the old cans to designate what was in it. About 12 years ago an elderly lady from the church whose husband had just died wanted all that "gun stuff" out of her house. I got a lot of good stuff (another story) but the old guy had a CASE of powder from Bruce Hogden himself. I tried to pick up on cardboard container + it just crumbled in my hand. I had to throw it away but it broke my heart.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pride and joy is an old military stainless steel container with a twist top, that seals really tight, It holds 150 lbs of old WW2 data powder aka 4350 data, aka 4831 surplus, and several other names??? the container is fitted with 2x4s around it to square it up for transported I suspect, and its marked US property and powder data...I bought it from and old gunsmith in Twin Falls, Id in 1980 full of powder, never been openned (the stuff that Jack O'Connor used) sold some and kept 50 lbs in containers and I use the container for horse grain..Its surely collectable I would think..I have today about 40 or so pounds of that stuff and its like new..I saved it for the 270, but have not owned a 270 for 5 years now...probably ought to sell it, the powder that is, not the container.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who can guess what people will buy? A few years ago there was a booth at a gun show that was selling the old S+W blue cardboard boxes (just the box) for $100.00 ea.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a barrel of red dot from an estate a few weeks ago, about half full, gave it to a shotgun guy.

Posts: 6359 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have 3 sq. cans of Hercules left, Unique, Bullseye, and Reloader 11. First time I really checked them out. One can says 11oz, the next 12 oz, and 16oz on the Re11. I have some H320 and other powders in older cans.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had several 50 round boxes from Kynock in 7 MM Mauser that I kept for a few years then someone here on cartridge collecting was interested in them so I just gave them to him. You can't keep everything forever. I did hear a story years ago about a guy out in California that would buy up lots of grocery canned goods every year + store them in a warehouse. He did this for years. Then he would lease that year's goods to the movie people for correct year authenticity of the background products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't recall just where I saw I saw it.

There IS a bunch of collectors for those old
powder cans and shotgun shell boxes.
Some as much as $50 each.

Lazy ass I am, have a big box of OLD fishing
lures on a high shelf in the shop. Book on them shows many I have listed for hundreds, a couple over $1500 each and that was printed in
1985 or so.

IF you've got a bunch of such things, check the web out for collectors.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch of those old metal powder cans. Be nice to know who is buying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I saw an empty box of Winchester 14 gauge shotshells sell for over $100 at an auction.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2284 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been buying Snap-On tools for 50 years + have got a lot of the promos from the dealers. I came across a book of values of their promo products + it's insane what some are valued at. Even the old calendars from the early 80s (low budget cheesecake) started at $85.00. Amazing what is collectible but I can't say it too loud because I collect guns, cameras, stamps, + coins so there you go. Personal interests.