New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Oven
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you guys build an oven? I want to build an oven for baking finishes, like Teflon, CeraKote, and any other finish that needs to be baked on. Most of those dont need to be baked over 300 degrees. I dont think I will ever powder coat anything but just in case I do the oven would need to get up around 400 degrees. I want it to be at least a 2x2x4. Do any of you guys think that an older soda machine that doesnt have a ton of plastic on it would work? I thought that if I took all the guts out of one, I might have a really good insulated box that might work. I have an old oven that I could take apart for the heating elements and temp controller. If you have pics of one that you built please share them.

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my father built an oven for my mother's ceramics. It was made of fire brick and he installed a coil heating element. I think the lid was made by banding the brick together. I would think this could be an inexpensive approach, but it wouldn't be very portable. Good luck.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
For an oven with those dimensions I would try just using an old electric stove oven and build an insulated "box" that can fit into the opening when you need to heat larger/longer items.

With a kitchen oven you already have ALL the wiring and temp controls hooked up, and half the oven finished as well. For the box, a practicable way to do it is to weld/bolt/pop rivet up a sheet metal box and then cover it with fiberglass insulation. If you have problem with unequal heat distribution in something long like that (I don't think you will though) you can either use an old convection oven and wire up the convection fan separately or just make a small fan to fit at the far end. To do that just use a small electric desk fan and buy a small metal fan blade for it from Grainger, then make up an extension shaft so the motor is on the outside of the box and only the fan blade on the inside. You won't even need to make a breeze, just something to push a small amount of air 4 feet.

I've built several pottery kilns, and a 5000 lb wood fired bread oven and for stuff like this we use an old electric stove as I mentioned (I haven't needed to make the chamber longer than normal yet however.)

Anyway, that's just how I would do it, YMMV.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. I did see a picture of an oven that had an extension built on top. The guy took the cook top off and built the box on top. I like the idea about the fan Mark. I'll post pictures of what ever contraption I come up with.

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, instructions for a DIY bake on finish oven.

Parts:
1. single burner hotplate. Find one that has the coil heating element, these work much better than the sold plate style.

2. 8" double wall vent pipe. This can be bought at lowes or Home Depot for about $15.

3. 1 gal. paint can lid.

4. BBQ thermometer. about $5 at Home Depot.

5. 1 "O" ring hook to hang the barreled action from.

Finished product. I insulated mine but I honestly don't think it's needed.

View from under the lid. The barreled action hangs fron the ring.

Top view. The tempreture is controlled from the ADJ on the hot plate.

The thing works like a charm, costs about $40 and the only tools needed are for putting holes in the paint can lid.

I hope this helps,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's a pretty nice setup Terry, thanks for posting it!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks for posting the pics. How hard is it to control the temp? I have never seen a hotplate up close. I assume they are just like a burner on a stove with low, medium, and high, settings. Can you set the dial on... say medium and expect to get 200 degrees or are you constantly having to adjust up and down?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark.

Cary, the plate is just like a countertop stove. It has a 1-9 adjustment range and I regulate the temperature before I start spraying.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How hot can that oven get?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried pop corn yet

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey George, the hottest I've ever gotten it up to was around 350. I bet it would get a little hotter but but that's high as I've seen it.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Hell of a neat design.

Do you know if the temperature is generally even throughout the tube? How long does it take to come up to temp? What kind of insulation did you use?

Need abt 325F for GunKote.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the temp is as even as with any other oven. It's worked great for 3 rifles I've cerakoted(SP?) I used regular pipe insulation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks for posting that. Neat oven.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
RATS!!! Been to Lowe's and Home Depot ... largest double wall vent they have locally is 5".

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post