The Accurate Reloading Forums
DIY silencers.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9111080861/m/2281076861

03 September 2019, 08:59
NormanConquest
DIY silencers.
My son told me of one while working in the West Texas oil fields. They were having a back yard BBQ when the subject went to silencers. The host says, my next-door neighbor was a whiz on building them from scratch. He's out on bond now, fixing to go to prison but he might be willing to share what he knows, what are they going to do, put him in prison? HaHa. Let's invite him over for some BBQ. They did + he expounded on how his "superior design" + mostly stupidity was sending him to the big house. Did he use a section of that flexible rubber? gas tubing as an outer case, the bought several of thiose 'Choir Boy' scrub pads from the grocery store; wrapped them in a 22 cal. sized dowel inserted them into the case + removed the dowel. Slips right over a 22 bbl. + when you take it off, push the choir boys out + now you have no illegal device. That's the part that he forgot; he was removing the liner. he did say that it was even quieter than several "legal units he had heard.

Never mistake motion for action.
03 September 2019, 20:26
nopride2
When I was a kid back in the late 40S early 50s I smashed an apple on the muzzle of my 22. It was quiet but accuracy left a lot to be desired.

Dave
04 September 2019, 09:05
NormanConquest
I'll bet. Still, it would be easier to explain than a litre coke bottle full of steel wool.

Never mistake motion for action.
04 September 2019, 20:43
nopride2
quote:
I'll bet. Still, it would be easier to explain than a litre coke bottle full of steel wool.

Yeah, makin apple sauce.

Dave
25 November 2019, 21:02
Atkinson
Id like to have a silencer for fireforming cases, so would my new neighbors down the road who piss and moan, call the sheriff, all to no avail, we live in the county, not in town..He is a replaced liberal stick...

Still, such a quick detachable silencer of some type would be handy..I tried taping a plastic jug to the barrel and fireform some cases with cornmeal and wax, blew the end off the jug!!but that same load wouldn' t penetrate a paper target at 5 ft.????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com