New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Made Case Tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once made a vibratory unit with instructions from Handloader magazine from the 80s. It was pretty large, a salad bowl, and a 1/3 HP motor. Baiscally like the modern units. I never made a lid. It spread lead from primer residue all over the shop. I did some lead testing in my shop when my son was young. The doctor was testing him as part of normal pediatirc check ups. I found large amounts of lead all over the shop. I ended up covering over the concrete floor with linolium tiles and making all new work benches. I was worried about my son having a lead level since he liked to watch me in the wrokshop. If he did the county health enforcement people would come to inspect house and find my garage gunshop. I did not want to deal with them or dose my kid.

In short, it is good to see you-all are using a cover on your homebrew polishers.

Posts: 508 | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I polish larger parts for various aotomotove and motorcycle projects, so I made a tumbler with a little "size" to it. Some day I'll get off my lazy butt and paint it. Mostly I'm doing crude work, rust removal. But when I polish cases I just load up one of those popcorn containers (2 gallon, maybe?), toss in the walnut media, duct tape the lid shut and put it inside the big tumbler. Two hours and shells are so bright you need shades. The rollers are made from boat trailer rollers, and grooved to match the barrel lines so it won't walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...youtube_gdata_player

Posts: 15851 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
I once made a vibratory unit with instructions from Handloader magazine from the 80s. It was pretty large, a salad bowl, and a 1/3 HP motor. Baiscally like the modern units. I never made a lid. It spread lead from primer residue all over the shop. I did some lead testing in my shop when my son was young. The doctor was testing him as part of normal pediatirc check ups. I found large amounts of lead all over the shop. I ended up covering over the concrete floor with linolium tiles and making all new work benches. I was worried about my son having a lead level since he liked to watch me in the wrokshop. If he did the county health enforcement people would come to inspect house and find my garage gunshop. I did not want to deal with them or dose my kid.

In short, it is good to see you-all are using a cover on your homebrew polishers.

I threw away my perfectly good lead dust generator.
Now, I use either the hot water/salt/lemon juice/dish soap method or I spray an old towel with 409 and jostle the cases around till clean. Lead dust is bad juju and every vibrator produces it.

Posts: 633 | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a hardware store paint mixer, 1 gal paint can lined with thin rubber.

Posts: 6373 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small cement mixer was what I used for several years. They can be used for wet or dry tumbling and used ones can be bought cheaper than a new RCBS sidewinder tumbler.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my DW 715VH (POS) in 1982-ish when i was stations at Offutt AFB (Omaha). My FFL dealer and his partner (Captain and SSGT) were shoveling empty cases into a cement mixer outside his garage when I went to pick up the Revolver.

I can't remember what the media was.

Posts: 6373 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post