New
Find
Notify
Tools

material to make a recoil pad spacer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to add about a 1/4" of LOP to a stock and have been looking for some hard black plastic or hard rubber that can be used as a spacer. Plan to trace the correct shape from the existing pad and cut to size. Have looked all over for a scrap piece of suitable material that will work but have found nothing. Any ideas of a likely local source of such material? thanks

Posts: 363 | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the guys at our gun club uses dollar store flip flops.....they work surprisingly well.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess this is the only good use I have gotten from a flip flop sandle, myself.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I want to add about a 1/4" of LOP to a stock and have been looking for some hard black plastic or hard rubber that can be used as a spacer. Plan to trace the correct shape from the existing pad and cut to size. Have looked all over for a scrap piece of suitable material that will work but have found nothing. Any ideas of a likely local source of such material? thanks

Sorbothane, from McMaster Carr.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr makes recoil pad spacers that do just that. Did you try one of those?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the ideas guys. This sounds crazy but I mentioned to my son what I was looking for recently. I stopped over to his place last week and he had a piece of black hard rubber that had come from a conveyor belt, about 5/16": very uniform in thickness. Think it actually might work.

Posts: 363 | Registered: 08 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spacers make a gun look cheap IMO..I would rather add a quality slip on that fits, and another of its benefits is in the summer you shoot a longer inch or so and in the hard winter country over a heavy parka or coat or layerd clothing the gun will fit you without the spacer..Just my approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post