The Accurate Reloading Forums
material to make a recoil pad spacer

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9111080861/m/1631016742

22 November 2018, 05:21
devere
material to make a recoil pad spacer
I want to add about a 1/4" of LOP to a stock and have been looking for some hard black plastic or hard rubber that can be used as a spacer. Plan to trace the correct shape from the existing pad and cut to size. Have looked all over for a scrap piece of suitable material that will work but have found nothing. Any ideas of a likely local source of such material? thanks
22 November 2018, 09:51
Lefteris Vassiliadis
Available in 4, 5 & 6mm thick.
https://www.hastingsdistributi...product_detail&p=356
28 November 2018, 03:29
JTEX
One of the guys at our gun club uses dollar store flip flops.....they work surprisingly well.

04 December 2018, 08:30
Jeff mills
Guess this is the only good use I have gotten from a flip flop sandle, myself.
04 December 2018, 09:14
TomP
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
I want to add about a 1/4" of LOP to a stock and have been looking for some hard black plastic or hard rubber that can be used as a spacer. Plan to trace the correct shape from the existing pad and cut to size. Have looked all over for a scrap piece of suitable material that will work but have found nothing. Any ideas of a likely local source of such material? thanks

Sorbothane, from McMaster Carr.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)
05 December 2018, 06:03
Clayman
Pachmayr makes recoil pad spacers that do just that. Did you try one of those?

07 December 2018, 05:19
devere
thanks for the ideas guys. This sounds crazy but I mentioned to my son what I was looking for recently. I stopped over to his place last week and he had a piece of black hard rubber that had come from a conveyor belt, about 5/16": very uniform in thickness. Think it actually might work.
15 June 2019, 02:25
Atkinson
Spacers make a gun look cheap IMO..I would rather add a quality slip on that fits, and another of its benefits is in the summer you shoot a longer inch or so and in the hard winter country over a heavy parka or coat or layerd clothing the gun will fit you without the spacer..Just my approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com