New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog house
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need plans for a dog house with removable roof and divider.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Search Outdoor Life dog house plans

Posts: 14 | Location: ND | Registered: 21 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I built a dog house that had thermostatically controlled heat, for cheap. Double walled too.

Granted the weather isn't as brutal here than it is in ND, but the same principles may work.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you find anything you liked?

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No still looking and didn't find anything in Outdoor life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you build yours, if there going to be outside in the winter, allow enough room inside to line it with solid insulation, with cheap paneling inside to protect the insulation,top sides and bottom.
I even had heat tape underneath the floor with an extension cord running to the house for those real cold times.
That was long ago, now they stay in the house!

Posts: 31 | Location: west coast of michigan | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know your dog won't live in a doghouse, right? Maybe it's different up north, but I've built them down South and the dogs pretty much ignore them, except for one that liked to sleep on the roof.

Posts: 10005 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is different up North. They either go in the house or freeze there ass off! My dogs are indoor and outdoor but when they are outside I like them to have a place to get out out of the rain or the wind or cold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, PM sent.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a good one to ask as my three dogs think my bedroom is their dog house. Big Grin

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting a divider so you can house two dogs or to provide a wind barrier ??
I built above ground kennels and have it so I can remove one outside wall, insulation and all, of the bedroom in case I need to get to a dog that is immobile.

Tom aka rinkydink

Posts: 206 | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking for the divider for a windbreak.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Twilli

If you don't mind, pm me your address and I will sketch the way I did it in my youth what you are wanting. I am not good enough to describe it in writing,.

As stated, insulate all sides plus top and bottom. I use 6 inches in floor and roof and 3 1/2 in walls. Using panelling as noted above works very good on the walls and roof, but plywood on the floor to withstand the stress. You can actually insulate as thick as you want if weight is not a factor. The thicker the insulation, the larger the wood for studs and floor joists.

Use piano hinge to be able to lift the roof.

Do not make the door very big. I have beagles and the door opening is 4 inches wide and 9 inches tall.

Other dogs would need larger.

If we proceed, I will give you my phone number to go over the sketches et al

Tom aka rinkydink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could email some sketches too. Whichever way you prefer