New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog consideration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I’ll admit that me and my family are dog people! I don’t think we will ever be without a dog!

Unfortunately, our 12-13 year old schnauzer died a few months back. We did get another pup a few months before that (another schnauzer) and it has been a great dog.We really like schnauzers and have had 4 over the past 25 years or so.

Now, the questions: This dog has a lot of energy! We had planned on just one dog but this dog (now one years of age) has enough energy that I’m considering getting another dog to keep it company. We are home a lot as my wife is usually at home helping me manage our business. Therefore, it is not neglected. So, do you think we need another?

Now for the second question. I’m really looking at getting a border terrier. One might ask why I would not get another schnauzer? I have no idea, I just became interested in this breed after doing research. What are your opinions on this breed?

I’ve been communicating with a very reputable breeder who has given me good information in my opinion. However, additional opinions can’t hurt!

Thanks

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no advice on the border terrier but looks like a legit breed vs the stupid designer breeds that have been all the rage lately.

I don't think a second dog is a bad idea at all, you've had 2 at a time before and amazed at how much one dog will burn the energy off of the other.

my only advice since the current one is still young, make sure it is fairly well trained to your liking since it will help to train the new pup.

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason, I truly believe that dogs are happier and healthier when they have a second dog in the household -- or better, a third. They give each other a lot of exercise playing grab-ass and they keep each other company when their peeps are pre-occupied with stupid stuff that doesn't involve them.
I tend to think hunting dog, but have had some wonderful little mutt pals, and confess a fondness for almost any terrier that I can't explain. Maybe I have watched "Best in Show" too many times.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
My experience is with the larger breeds. I think a different breed is a good idea. I like the Jack Russell terrier would be my choice for a smaller dog. It sounds like you have done your homework and probably should get one of them. Good luck and Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it’s appreciated. I think the breeder is top notch. He asked several questions and wanted to make sure that me and my wife were qualified. He actually says no to couples who both work away from home. He seems very legitimate and has great reviews.

A little pricey but being as I will most likely have this dog for 12-15 years, I want to improve my odds as best I can.

One thing I’ve found is that small dogs can be much harder to train than the bigger (hunting) breeds. At least that’s my experience .

And, I agree, my existing dog needs to be well trained for the new dog. We are doing okay with it but need to work with it more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I brought home a Border Terrier pup last September. Companion for my 12 year old Flatcoat after our previous small dog died. We love the breed. Our children have one on the Ranch in Baja. Great dog. Our Brodie is full of energy and love. He’s entertaining with his antics. Smart and easy to train. I recommend the breed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
My wife and I brought home a Border Terrier pup last September. Companion for my 12 year old Flatcoat after our previous small dog died. We love the breed. Our children have one on the Ranch in Baja. Great dog. Our Brodie is full of energy and love. He’s entertaining with his antics. Smart and easy to train. I recommend the breed.

I really appreciate the reply. I think I’m going to do it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are only 3 dog breeds out there.
1. Labrador retrievers
2. Jack Russell Terriers
3. Mutts

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
There are only 3 dog breeds out there.
1. Labrador retrievers
2. Jack Russell Terriers
3. Mutts

Labs- great dogs, owned one.

Jack Russells- my friend has two. I like them but they are Waaay too hyper.

Mutts: maybe, I’ve seen more good than bad. You know the best dog that I ever owned was a “mutt”. That dang dog attached itself to me. I couldn’t get rid of it and the owner, my neighbor, finally relented and gave it to me. After I got it, I was blessed Roll Eyes with a litter of pups. After we found homes for them, I took it in to get fixed. It died at the Vet! Not a good day for me or my family!

I’m going with a terrier. However, I’m going to drop the “Jack” for the “Border”

Thanks for the advice. All of it’s good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I would give an update. I received an unexpected call from the Dog Breeder saying that the had a pup available. I said I would take it as I was not wanting to wait until the end of the summer when the next litter was ready.

We have now had the Border Terrier for a few days. It is doing great an we are not regretting the choice. It seems to be very intelligent and is accustoming to the new surroundings well. I forgot though, how much work a new pup is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy that new pup. They’re fun but do take time. Our 8 month old border terrier needs his daily exercise or he’s trouble. Very smart. If my wife or I ignore him and watch TV he’ll grab the universal remote control and take it to the back yard. Learning quickly that that’s not a good thing. At the same time he is very lovable and anxious to please. I took him on a Eurasian dove hunt with my flatcoat retriever last week. I connected the dogs with a short lead and he participated in the retrieving. He would help By holding the doves head. Too funny. Wasn’t gun shy one bit. Loved the experience. Enjoy your new companion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LB;

Thanks for the comment. It’s good to hear feedback from someone who owns a Border Terrier. In addition, I really appreciate you talking about taking it hunting. I want to take mine along on some hunts and am interested to see how it does.

This pup seems very smart. It’s catching on quickly to the housing training and schedule. Fortunately, it’s getting along well with our 1 year old schnauzer.