THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Looking for a Pheasant Dog
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Pheasant Dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Field bred English Springer Spaniel.

I could write a book full of reasons, but that's not really needed.

Posts: 63 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crazy_quik:
Field bred English Springer Spaniel.

I could write a book full of reasons, but that's not really needed.

tu2 I have had three ESS. They are easy to train, have great drive, and will retrieve anything you shoot smaller than a Cape buffalo!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have similar requirements for a pheasant dog, and I've been pleased with 2 Pudelpointers. My current dog is now 8 yrs old, might have to start shopping for an apprentice, I'd consider another, or a DD, or a Picardy spaniel.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Setter or English pointer. White with a high tail. Easier to locate and follow in the field. White, White, White especially if they range a little.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Our Black Lab couldn’t find her butt with both paws!

My GSP can smell an old pheasant wing from 50 feet away. They were bred that way. Labs were bred to retrieve.

Mostly upland birds, get a pointer. Mostly ducks, get a retriever.

Have your wife check out PineShadows.com English Springer Spaniels. Lots of help training. Lots of owners showing up to train dogs on live birds every weekend.

They sold one of their first started dogs to a game farm. Some guys from MLPS showed up with a trained field trial lab. They hunting till noon and killing only 4 pheasants out of the 30 put down, they came in for lunch. The owner suggested trying his new dog at no charge after lunch. If this expensive, started dog couldn’t find any more birds, they could leave. No charge. One pass down the field, the springer dog got up the other 26 pheasants.

Everyone was impressed. Take a look.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
On a side note, spray Pam cooking spray on long haired dogs with burrs. They slide right out.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack this thread but as many birdhunters were reading it i thought i would mention a dog i have for sale. he is a broke 3 year old male english setter. his father is Erins hidden shamrock and his mother is a direct daughter of shadow oak bo (my dog lady). i own his full sister and i have seen several dogs from that litter that are exceptional but my sister to him is simply outstanding at wild birds and NSTRA. I bought him back because i learned the owner was not hunting and he was just becoming a kennel dog. I only want a puppy price for him. If someone can post a photo for me i will send it. he is a tall orange and white dog. you can email me direct at larryburgin55@gmail.com

he would make a great pheasant, grouse, quail dog. he only ranges ~75 yards at the top.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I was supposed to go look at some GSP pups this morning, but wife vetoed the idea.

No new bird dog for me.

That's rough.

In my house, I have to the be the tough guy, or we'd be overrun with critters of all sorts. We already have two rescue mutts from other family members.

I do want a couple GSPs in the future, though separated by a couple years. When that times comes, my wife will beat me to the truck and get it rolling to get the pup. "Wait for meeeeee!"

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a DD guy but I like a lot of other breeds. I admire the GSP but many just don't have enough of an off switch. Every young dog is full of itself but after 2-3 years of age, I expect a dog that can be livable the 8-9 months a year I'm not hunting.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote