THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    “Tears and Laughter”

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Tears and Laughter”
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
Gene Hill wrote this compilation and it’s a great book. Some real tear jerkers, but I suppose we’ve all been there.

Has anyone else read this book?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read it several years ago. Made me cry at times.

I've had dogs all my life. The longest I was without one was during my time in the Marines, almost 50 years ago.

I've lost 2 labs in the last 2 years. A 13 year old chocolate and a 12 year old yellow. Both girls. The chocolate was "the one", the best of all my dogs.

It's been 2 months since the yellow went. Gonna take a break until about the first of the year and get another chocolate, then another yellow about 18 months after that. Already working up a list of potential names.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I get emotional just thinking about the dogs I have lost. I keep three of their collars with tags in a chest in the living room. If I had the place for it, and the cash, I'd be tempted to have at least a half-dozen. A dog is such a blessing in this life.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16346 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best !
Gene Hill & Corey Ford have written what have been labeled the (2) “best”, “finest” “greatest” dog stories.
“One “ by Gene Hill
“The road to Tinkhamtown” by Corey Ford
I highly recommend them ! p.s.,don’t forget the Kleenex.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I also keep their collars/tags and some of their fur.

I did do almost two years after one was lost. He was my “best” lab. He had twisted his gut and didn’t survive the surgery. He was almost 12 and 95lbs stout. Tucker was his name. I driver him to the ranch for his burial and it was Saturday college football. My damn team had a running back named Matthew Tucker. That game didn’t last long on the radio.

It was nice to have a certain freedom for that spell without a dog. I didn’t have to get home at a certain time, take trips without boarding, no shedding (I was a nice surprise finding a random hair at times), but something was missing.

My sister decided I needed a new lab. I wasn’t sure. She found a 5 month old on Craigslist that was a chew tow for a 12yo golden. The picture enticed me, then I aw her in the park with the “sellers.” She was mine, especially after she ran straight to me.

I paid them and took her home. She loved he new home that she just decided to go diarrhea the first thing inside!

Well, I was back to the life of things gettin chewed up, shedding, and responsibility for a dog...

She’s not quite the hunter as Tucker, but she’s a sweetheart.

She came home to me over 7 years ago and I hate she is likely past her half life.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
A great read, as were his other books. Can't imagine a life without dogs

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote