New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new dog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Used to do a lot of duck and goose hunting and always had labs. My last and favorite died a decade ago, but since now I only hunt waterfowl occasionally with friends who have dogs, I've been thinking of a different breed. I've been thinking of a Rott, a mastiff of one persuasion or another, or a Rhodesian Ridgeback. He'll be a housedog, but limited to my rooms.

My daughter recently moved out with her Poms and my wife wants to get another Pom, so getting along with a little dog is an issue. But I need a real dog.

Welcome anyone's thoughts on breeds and breeders.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
My pick would be a Ridgeback. Good with family, good protector and easy going.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Blackmouth Cur
Smart, eager to please, loyal, protective.
I have kept as many as 3 in the house at one time. If I'm home they are welcoming. If I'm not home I don't need to lock my doors.
Plus I hunt squirrels, coon and cats with them.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
After being a profession waterfowl hunter for over 25 years this is what was I was taught from my Grandfather who learned from his Father. When they were not market hunting they were running hunts out of Currituck for high society New Yorkers. They saw all types of exotic breeds trying to do all types of hunts. It is quite simple.

If you want a duck dog get a Lab.
If you want a quail dog get a Setter or Pointer.

Everything else is a pet.

I currently own several dogs and have had just about everything from Shorthairs to Boykins. For the sole purpose of hunting, the above statement is true. Go ask any Vet what he thinks is the smartest dog breed. He will either say German Shepard or Lab.
I have seen some epic Chesapeakes but I can not use one because I am scared they will bite my clients. They are part Rottweiler and can be mean. Interesting fact about Chesapeakes is that market hunters breed them not only for hunting. They would have to leave their ducks and geese overnight in a wagon next to the railway for pickup to NYC. The Chesapeak would lay on top of the ducks and guard them from theft. Regardless of what you decide, I could not imagine living on this Earth without owning a dog. It is proven that they can lower your heart rate and relieve stress.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I always thought of a Rhodesian Ridgeback as more of a hound than a waterdog. I know a farmer in Africa that has one and the dog is crazy about chasing Baboons.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with Rotts and German Shepherds. Out of the two I prefer the Shepherd.

I currently have a Belgian Malinois and he is pretty good dog. Needs lots of exercise though or he is a royal pain in the ass. I liken his energy level to that of a Jack Russel Terrorist. Full of energy from the time he wakes up until he sleeps. Bastard eats 12 measured cups of food a day and still has his ribs showing.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Cap!, you're spot on about Chessies. Had a buddy who had one and we hunted together a lot, with my chocolate, and they even got along (both males, so I was surprised). The Chessie would even come greet me every morning and want a pat on the head. One day we hunted separately and my buddy had shot a banded bird. At the end of the hunt, the Chessie was laying next to "his" birds and I bent down to take a look at the band. I thought he was going to take my arm off -- and he knew me. Plus, they smell so I don't think they'd be a good house dog.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could not imagine living on this Earth without owning a dog.

me 2
ever think of a golden retriever - probably one of the best family dogs ever

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out flatcoated retrievers. Luna is my fourth flatcoat and she is a wonderful family dog and an amazing hunting dog. Flushing retriever and water dog. They have a perpetual puppy streak that makes them entertaining. My Luna is a great house dog but needs exercise/walking/play time etc. She is great with children and generally loves people. Very few breeders so they are hard to find. Beautiful dogs!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have another Blue Heeler. Love that breed!VERY territorial + will die to defend their territory + people.When I had my 1st one ages ago she would try to herd the kids back home on their bikes.Never took one duck hunting but their desire to please would'nt surprise me.Not a spaniel or a water dog but a true friend + hunting pal.A good dog is a friend for life.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW Bill,if you make it down this way + want to come out to the ranch,you can meet Princess;a true sweetheart.You are welcome.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca,
I have had south african boerboels for 15 plus years now. I only mention as you mentioned mastiffs. They are a large breed dog and are protective of family. Can be dog aggessive to new dogs. Not really a go play in the park woth other dogs kind of dog. Look into them if yo want a loysl and protective dog who will he great with family

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, know that flatcoats have shortened life expectancies due to their history .
Get the only love money can buy ! And proof , Don't forget Henry Ford's words .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest an airedale. Reasonably sized, tough, and loyal to the end.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a german shepherd and a continuous shedding world view Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Mutt from the pound!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like G. Shepards(hip displacement an issue as well)my choice stays with the red + blue heelers. I've got a mix bitch that will love you to death or tear you a new one depending on how I act.Very territorial,protect home + property + woe be the intruders.She runs at night w/ the neighbors Rotty + it does keep the coyotes away.....so far.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Since you live in Texas Boerboel.

If you lived someplace more temperate, I'd pick a mastiff with more hair.

Grandkids? Newfoundland, funny I have only been here a year and I typed Neufounland firt! Damn Germans messing up my English skills.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Blackmouth Cur
Smart, eager to please, loyal, protective.
I have kept as many as 3 in the house at one time. If I'm home they are welcoming. If I'm not home I don't need to lock my doors.
Plus I hunt squirrels, coon and cats with them.

A BMC is definitely a possibility. I have a 1.5 YO. He's a fiercely loyal dog, especially with my oldest daughter. He's wherever she is. In fact, he wants to be with whomever is out in the field. If I'm on the tractor, working in the yard etc., he's right there with me.

That being said, he's a different dog and I've seen some other BMC's that would not be a good family dog. Ours shares some of the BMC traits, he's very protective of our property and us, even with people he's familiar with(neighbor). He also doesn't take correction very well. He'll sulk for hours if you reprimand him and he thinks he failed you, so you have to watch how you correct him. (of course it doesn't help that the little sh!t has chewed up every one of my patio cushions). But he is a pretty cool dog that's real smart and loyal. Mine comes from the cattle dog bloodlines and he's pretty laid back. I've seen some from the hunting bloodlines that are too high strung for me.

A really cool dog to consider is an Italiano Spinone if you have the money and can find one.

Posts: 475 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Owned several breeds. Nothing compares to a
Deutch Drathar (German Wire Hair).

Shane Loveland
Vom Wasatch Kennels

You would be happy with one, I am sure

Posts: 2639 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second an the Airedale.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
My Weimaraner was a great family dog and a good hunter (sometimes too good). I can't speak for the entire breed, but my dog Gaius was loyal, intelligent to a fault and had a great nose. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands Down... Boxer...

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Narrowed down to a ridgeback, a boerbull or a malamois.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Narrowed down to a ridgeback, a boerbull or a malamois.

Of those three, for the environment you describe, I think a Malinois is the best by far.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew some folks who fell in love with Boerboels in Africa. They had a gentleman's farm with decent amount of land. They went through the task of importing two dogs. They promptly wiped out his small herd of prize sheep, every duck, chicken or goose within a mile and were general menaces to all. They had professional trainers work with them and their opinion was most are bred to be serious guard dogs and not pets. They gave them away.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gato, I never could spell, but I think I agree with you.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Mutt from the pound!

+ 1. Can be the very best and often just grateful to have a home.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Cane Corso or a Dogo, no need to settle for anything less.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get another Lab. They are just fantastic all around dogs.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get another Lab. They are just fantastic all around dogs.

I couldn't agree more EXCEPT I interpret his "new" dog wishes to include some type of guard dog/protective ability. With very rare exceptions, Labs will lick an intruder to death.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of a lot of those exotic dogs but I do know if you get a red/blue heeler pup from ranch/farm stock, you've got a dog. Tenacious, loyal, smart, and very family oriented.
IMO, you missed the boat when you didn't get one of those border collie/heeler crossses that Gordo was giving away. Smiler It was all I could do not to drive down to TX and get one.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a young female BMC that I can not keep. She jumps my fence, and my Neighbors are more important. Price is right, free, come get her!

Posts: 693 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a genuine versatile dog, a Wire-Haired Pointing Griffon. They're good water dogs that will point in the upland and retrieve on land and in the drink.

Rosie's best friends are big 100 pound Rocky and our little Buster the Cairn terrier. She's extremely friendly, but she's all business afield.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato's comments are right on. I've owned a lot of labs and they pretty much like everyone. My old chocolate tried to bite only two people in his whole life. What was interesting is that he was a very good judge of character, but when I say tried, he never actually bit either of them.

One was my 16 year old son's 18 year old girlfriend, who turned out to have drug issues. The second was the guy at the feed store where I bought dogfood who I later found out had hit on my wife when she was there, with my dog, to pick up food. As I said though, he never drew blood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had one but those Griffon's are really cute. Cutest puppy I've ever seen was an 8wk old Griffon, hands down! But your problem is not the dog but rather the wife. Get yourself a new lab pup. When you get it home, send the wife out to find a pom puppy. Just as she leaves change all the locks on the doors and don't let her back in. I'd move a couch on the porch for her and throw in a blanket for the cold month's. You should both then be very happy! :-) How in hell can a woman not like a gun dog?

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
If you need a loyal bodyguard virtually unstoppable ,buy a DOGO ARGENTINO but bear in mind that you must be always with him and they are very territorial ,they hunt partriges and hogs and anything ,they point like pointers .
Another dog smaller but very smart and loyal are malinois they will take care of your family .Rhodesians are a great breed too .
Cheers Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a watchdog, why not an Anatolian Shepard?

They are big, but very protective of family.

For a companion dog, a Rat Terrier is hard to beat. They are entertaining and sharp as a tack.

They are very friendly, but make excellent watchdogs as they will bark if anyone approaches the house.

No worries about lawsuits from people getting bitten with those guys.

As an old duckhunter you need no advice on waterfowl dogs.

For upland game, I like GSPs, but some people prefer Brittany Spaniels.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Ridgeback. We had one that was an outstanding family dog, protective, but not aggressive. Only lack of time and too much travel prevented us from replacing it. When I retire soon and travel less, we are getting another.
Ours enjoyed small game hunting with us, but never really contributed productively to the effort. Perhaps with training, she might have.

Posts: 83 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ridgeback

My nephew had a ridgeback I was not impressed.

I had several breeds hunted with a bunch of others I keep going back to labs.

I did have a Australian/German shepherd cross very smart dog would hunt and retrieve anything.

I then trained her to be a house and personnel protection dog.

I worked with patrol and other police working dogs also.

I became to a firm believer that once you train a dog to bite you can not trust them.

Posts: 19326 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote