Find
Notify
Tools

Torn ACL
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Our Aussie seems to have torn her right rear ACL. Vet says this is one of the most common orthopedic issues they see, and the surgery is pretty routine, if spendy. If you have had a dog go through this, how did he or she respond?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill

My Mal had similar issue (left rear), screaming, hopping round on three legs. Three weeks of pain and anti-inflammatory meds with very limited activity did the trick. Vet here said not actually torn just tweaked. X-rays don't show much other than the margins. The surgery is pretty destructive and a last resort IMO and opinion of one Vet. After three bouts and regular hi po dog glucosamine, he seems to be cured. Hazards of medium acrobatic dog breeds I spose.

E.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks, E. Bella is in being X-rayed this afternoon. We shall see what the diagnosis is. She will not let that rear leg touch the floor.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16369 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been through this a couple of times. I think the surgery is almost always successful, however there is a lot of strain on the good leg, pre and post op. This can cause some problems. Obviously choose your vet carefully.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted, Bill. Apparently, a "trick" hip joint or one with dysplasia will cause similar symptoms where the pup experiences lot of pain and won't load the affected leg. I had to carry my boy around for a few days, all 95 lbs of his mule eared, pastrami tongued seff.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've had two Labs blow their ACL's. The first one blew both. Both dogs recovered from the surgery and continued hunting. The first dog who injured both legs was the toughest. The vet did one leg and when that one was healed did the second. The dog recovered and went back to hunting pheasants, ducks and geese. She hated going to the Vet after that experience.

I noticed that both dogs lost some speed after the surgeries but that didn't stop them from hunting.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, she really blew that knee, including the meniscus. Surgery to be scheduled, poor baby.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and your Aussie..they truly are part of the family.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Well, she really blew that knee, including the meniscus. Surgery to be scheduled, poor baby.

Bad news/good news. Hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Golden Retriever blew his left knee 3 weeks ago and had the surgery 2 weeks ago. He's putting a little weight on it now and we go back tomorrow morning to get the stitches out and an x-ray. He's big for a Golden, 105 lbs and the doc wants us to get him down to 90; that's not going to be fun! The dog has always been extremely athletic, has spent his life in the woods and swimming at the beach and a friends pond and this lack of activity is really affecting his mood. The surgery is real pricey but our vet does 6-10 of these a week and has had excellent results so we're hopeful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Chesapeake that did that jumping out of the back of the truck. The vet said that was a common cause and not a good idea to let them do that. I bought a fold up ramp and have used it ever since. It is way cheaper than the surgery.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Do your homework on your Vet's surgery record just as you would for your own surgeon.
With the right Vet she will be back in action in no time.
Best of luck and keep us posted

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my Lab mix rescues had this surgery two/three years ago when she was about nine years old. She tore it chasing hogs, so we (meaning my wife) decided it was time for her to retire from hunting hogs and move indoors. It has been fun watching her progress from a semi feral stray to well mannered house pet over the years.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one done 20 years ago when they were still replacing the ACL with a synthetic ligament. Worked well and the dog went back to hunting after 6 months.
Now they use the TPLO procedure which actually re-positions the geometry of the knee. More costly and I don't know what the % of success is.

Do the research....and good luck.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Hoping for a good outcome on the 16th.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
I had a Gordon who is now with my other old hunting partners. He blew one CCL at 3 he was an excellent hunter and the long term prognosis w/o surgery is bad arthritis. That will come anyway. Look at Dasaquin and Duralactin. Duralactin is a bit of a miracle for dogs if it works.

I had Cooper corrected with TPLO surgery by VOSM in Annapolis Junction, MD Dr. Canaaap I believe is the patent holder on the prosthesis that repositions the tibial cap. My dog did great but the first few days tore me up he was in a lot of pain! He hunted another 3 years then the other knee went (very common) the second was more difficult for recovery at 6 in a big dog. Lots of Underwater treadmill, adequan, and slow work. He recovered and had to be put down as an old feller at 10. It is pricey. I suspect I could have bought a nice Parker small bore BE or better grade gun for what it ended up costing in the end. But he was my hunting partner and there was really never a question.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, Bella gets her sutures out Monday morning, then the work of slow rehab begins, poor kid.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and look into Dasaquin with MSM and Duralactin (age depending) PM me if you wish to further discuss or talk. I did rx meds, diets$$$ and therapy but Duralctin was a game changer in 3 days I had an athletic dog back. He hunted 3 more years after we found it.