Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Airedales
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Some of you will recognize the boy on the left in this photo as the young Marion Morrison, who would grow up to become John Wayne. He was so inseparable from the family Airedale -- named Duke -- that the guys at the local firehall started calling Marion by his dog's name, and that's where the Duke in Duke Wayne came from.

dukesdogduke by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had three Airedales. Excellent dogs for whatever you need a dog for, with proper training. I use them for guard dogs. I would not want to contest one, they are fearless. Great family dogs too.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
One of my bear hunting buddies had a pair of Airedales which he would turn in once we had a bear jumped. It shortened most races considerably. Never could get them broke off porcupines though.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have had our new Airdale (female, "Polly")for just over a week now and she seems like she'll be a fine dog but I have to tell ya, training a pup is harder at 70 than it was at 56! Mind you, it kind of works out. Both the pup and I have to get up and pee around 3 am so at least our schedules are pretty well synchronized.
Last night, the yard was full of elk and the commotion when we went out caused her to be reluctant to go down the steps so she peed on the deck. I gave her a pass, given the circumstances.
Given the choice, I prefer the elk to the bear. Our previous Airdale kept the unwanted visitors out up until the last two years by which time she could no longer hear them or see them very well. With all the wildlife feeling pretty complacent, Polly will have her work cut out for her when she gets old enough. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bill, how long did your last Airedale live? Congratulations on inviting Polly into your life.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have considered the Airedale. Momma gave me a rescued dog and I broke him out of prison three years ago around Father's Day. He keeps me out of trouble in my semi-retired state. An Airedale may be the next thing at the Packrattusnongratus Ranch. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Bill, how long did your last Airedale live? Congratulations on inviting Polly into your life.

Our last Airdale (Mattie) lived to 13 1/2 years then fell asleep on the porch and didn't wake up. She had some trouble getting around in her last year and I had to cut some walks short. She was a larger Airdale (about 75 pounds) and was an excellent companion dog.
This pup will probably be smaller (about 50 pounds). Her personality seems just a little more mischievious but hard to say for sure. Mattie had other dogs around while Polly is an only dog at this time. An adult dog can often assist a lot in training.
All terriers have some traits which can be annoying until they get some age on them. They are stubborn and they are especially bad chewers. To an Airdale, playing means biting and this is a difficult habit to break. The difference in response to discipline between breeds is interesting. If I grabbed our beagle by the scruff and lifted her, she would go limp and be contrite when released. Both Airdales would growl and were as likely to do exactly what they were being punished for when released. As a pup, Mattie would growl whenever someone stepped near her when she was sleeping. Polly isn't nearly so belligerent.
Today, we are visiting our son who has a young black and tan hound. They are doing nice job of wearing each other down. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I admire these dogs even with the ornery parts to their personalities. WE "need" one at the Packrattusnongratus Ranch. Be Well, Packy.