THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Best time to lose a dog.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time to lose a dog.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Actually there is no good time to loose a dog. But as I get older I'm thinking of my last pup. I'm 72 and hope to live till my youngest grand son graduate's high school. That would make me 84! Well my Squirt is 11 yrs now and most certainly won't make it. Stormy is coming 5, he won't make it probably! A new pup either this fall or next spring may very well make it though. Problem I have is that I'm hoping my last dog will die the day before me! I can not bear the idea of one of my dog's being hurt by my loss, like to pat myself on the back. But, my dog's all live in the house with me and go every where with me so long as it's not to hot. My son would be a good home other than his wife is not all that crazy about dog's. She would not allow it to sleep in bed with them and it upset's her to see anyone share their meal with their dog, mine eat off the same fork. What to do? Only thing comes to mind is to time it so I can say a final goodby then die myself the next morning!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friend you can adopt a middle aged lab or better and old lab ,im sure you will live many years more ,im like you dogs are part of my life and im always worried about them ,rigth now my dogo is rigth on my feet in this windy cold nigth in the pampas .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If dogs don't go to heaven when they die -
Than I want to go where they go when I die ..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I agree with the sentiment. I have put two dogs down in the last 25 years and it is still fresh in my mind. Had to put my cat down a few months ago and that was as bad. I think they all go to heaven to please the Heavenly Father. He gets to play with them each day.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ditto Bear Cat.
Don, I am 65, but it still weighs on me that I might not have "one more dog's life" in me. I am living alone and without a dog for the first time in decades and I sure miss having one, but struggle with what would happen to my pup if I passed suddenly. Fortunately, my daughter loves dogs, but who knows what her circumstances will be in 8-10 years?
I have been thinking about getting another hunting dog, but I think honestly, most of my bird days are behind me. So I am also thinking about some of the terriers -- Welsh, Irish, Wheaten -- because they make me laugh -- and I like a dog with some beard and moustache!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Our Beautiful girl "KATIE" left us yesterday, we knew she was not eating right for about a week, We didn't think much she's always been picky, but on Sunday her stomach blew up. We got her in Monday morning, the vet took on look, did and x-ray and drew some blood and walked back in with a death sentence, We are 70 also, and it hit use so very hard, this intelligent Springer was going to be put down. It's been several days and our eyes are red and wet, we simply can't stop. I've had many loving animals in my life, we been so blessed, I was married before and had a daughter of 2yrs old pass and this is as tough as that, I don't understand. I wish I could stop crying.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've put three dogs down in the past five years. In some ways it is harder than losing a human. I don't know why, but it may be that dogs love us with a purity and devotion that we can only dream of achieving -- and this love is something we crave and cannot let go of. The only comfort I can see is that the dog is not worried by what tomorrow brings -- or if it even comes.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, you don't know or really have any clue that you are going to live until your youngest grand son graduates high school, you might go tomorrow, just like any of us. Actuarialy speaking your life expectancy is about 85, but the tables are averages. Get a new dog and enjoy the day, they all go better with a dog around. If you're really worried about the dogs life after you are gone, get a dog from the pound. He'll damn sure have a longer and happier life with you than he would have otherwise and love you without restraint in the interim. What more can we ask for?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and furthermore, here is a good dog quote from Roger Caras:

quote:
“Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. ”

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man,I wish I passed on this post, though it's comforting to know that you folks view your dogs the same way I do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a big picture behind the counter at my vet. "Dogs aren't our whole life, they make our life whole." A lot of wisdom in the statement, without a doubt.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My oldest brother turned 74 a couple of weeks ago. He has spent 28 days in the hospital most of it on intensive care. He had to have a feeding tube inserted into his stomach, he has suffered a stroke, and a heart attack.

He will never be able to live by hisself again.

Unbeknownst to him, his beloved French bulldog, his only companion for 10 years, died 10 days after he was admitted to the hospital.

No one has had the heart to tell him that his dog has died. He thinks it is being taken care of by his granddaughter who lives in a different state.

Knowing his dog has died would probably have made him give up during all the medical procedures and he wouldn't have made it.

I think his dog died from the stress of being separated from his owner.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
somehow they do know.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your sentiments. I lost my wife to ALS in 2016. I've lost 3 other dogs. My Bella is a 13yr. old Border Collie. The first thing I did was make arrangements with 2 relatives to give her a good home in her remaining years should something happen to me. She is like my shadow. Where I go she goes.

Posts: 58 | Location: Struthers,Ohio | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
If dogs don't go to heaven when they die -
Than I want to go where they go when I die ..

X2

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Marciano:
My Bella is a 13yr. old Border Collie. The first thing I did was make arrangements with 2 relatives to give her a good home in her remaining years should something happen to me. She is like my shadow. Where I go she goes.

I think that is why it is very important that you train your dogs to be good house dogs (unless they are kenneled) and obey basic commands (sit, heel, etc).

My brother let his dog crap all over the place and run totally wild. As much as I like dogs, I would not take that dog.

Another guy I know, had a very expensive Brit Spaniel get killed after it ran out into the road. He and his family didn't have the heart, to teach the dog basic obedience.

Do your dogs a favor, and train them to be obedient and enjoyable companions, otherwise they might wind up in a pound.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Someone else's words; I can only wish to be the man my dogs think I am.

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above posts except for "eating off the same fork." Kind of makes my skin crawl. barf

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny_Revolver
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this pic will work, sorting through photo's today and found this among others. Must be 7 years he's been gone.

Posts: 131 | Location: South east Queensland Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Johnny, just a beautiful boy.

– John Green, author