Find
Notify
Tools

Adventures with Cooper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted
It looks like we will be getting a new addition to the ranch family, he's 4 wks old &

we are driving to Nebraska to pick him up June 5th. We decided to call him "Cooper".

My other three GSP's are getting older (8,11,16) so it is time to add some younger

blood to the hunting crew! Hope to have occasional "action" updates on him.

Here's a pic sent to me from the breeder at 4 wks old!

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good lookin' little feller. Hope to see some more of him as he grows. Bob

So many guns, so little time

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can't see that I'd like to is a beard and a little bit of a rough coat. Cool

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets see some fresh pictures of this handsome boy. Guessing from his feet, he has a ways to grow. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have great luck with him. I *LOVE* a GSP....my BEST friend (gone since 1975) was one.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Yes, Cooper is growing slowly. Like most puppies he needs a lot of attention!

dwheels: luckily through years of careful selection & breeding they were able to

get rid of the undesirable traits (i.e. beard, rough coat, , stubbornness, poor hunting

drive, ...) that unfortunately plague lesser breeds (GWH, Draathar, Griffon's,...) Big Grin

He's just turned 10 weeks old, loves tormenting my other 3 GSP's (8,11 & 16 yr).

Hopefully this pic of him working on his hunting technique comes out.

Photobucket has changed their format?

So far he's a keeper!

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
here's the pic I meant to send of him working on his hunting technique!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With those back legs, he looks like a jackrabbit cross! lol

\
465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Aren't we about due an update here?

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great dogs we have some here for professional partrige hunting never got tired very strong dogs ,i love them and your puppie is real handsome .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of the country hunting (Scotland & Tanzania),

so haven't had time to reply. Also poor planning on my part as I haven't had as

much time to work Cooper. He seems to be coming along well, great nose, not

afraid of the shotgun & seems to run well (downwind of good cover, 40 yds

out,...). Here's a pic of him at 5 months old working in the river, he can swim now!

He's just turned 6 months old & we got his first wild bird today, a Hungarian Partridge!

It was pretty windy, I made a lucky shot on a fast, going away bird. Broke its wing &

it went down. Cooper hurried over to where he landed & ended up tracking him for

about 30 more yards & got him. Made a nice retrieve.

When he dropped it at my feet, it took off running & he had to go get it again! The

second time he brought it right to hand. Great day & a great start for Cooper!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful dog. You are lucky and will have many great days afield together. I miss my GS who was with me for 12 good years but died some years back. I have so many wonderful memories of times with that dog and cherish them all. Good luck and good hunting !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until he's bigger, you can call him Mini Cooper.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Brice, that's what my wife has been calling him Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, Cooper looks so much like my Maddie that passed away a few years ago, with the big brown saddle on the rump, all-brown head, and flecking. I miss her :-(

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
I love my German Shorthairs. Trained and hunted with them for years and they never once let me down.

Beautiful dog you have there.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Another big day for Cooper!

He got stuck on the wrong side of the river so had to swim across to me (50-60 ft)!

He got sprayed by a skunk, so will get a shower tonight!

He got his first wild pheasant, a young rooster & made a nice retrieve.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Another good day for Cooper, we got 4 nice roosters. One landed in the deep part of

the river (6' deep), he swam out to it, tried to grab it but didn't retrieve it, I had to

wade in about 300' downstream where it was shallower & grab it. Maybe I'm

asking a lot out of a 6 month old pup? Overall, he did great, otherwise made nice retrieves &

held pretty nice points. Seems to be making nice progress.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Pretty dog for sure!

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a winner there.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's doing very well indeed. Thats a hell of a nice shotgun also. DW

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
Another good day for Cooper, we got 4 nice roosters. One landed in the deep part of

the river (6' deep), he swam out to it, tried to grab it but didn't retrieve it, I had to

wade in about 300' downstream where it was shallower & grab it. Maybe I'm

asking a lot out of a 6 month old pup? Overall, he did great, otherwise made nice retrieves &

held pretty nice points. Seems to be making nice progress.

You need to introduce force fetch training.

posted Hide Post
Cooper is lookin' good. He got lucky and got a good home. That goes a long way toward making a good dog.

Thanks for sharing him with us. Rob

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Been having a great fall, spent most of last week getting a nice bull elk on our ranch for my

buddy John. Packed it out on horses, always lots of fun, but have been neglecting Cooper a bit. So

I decided to take him out today & we got a big wild rooster (& he made a very nice retrieve!)

dwheels: The gun is a 20 gauge Lang, underlever with 30" damascus barrels, circa 1890.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You insensitive sucker! I have two e Setter's, love them dearly but they don't come close to my old shorthair's. Then I fell into a Red Setter pup and he is super! Figure I have enough time in this life for one more pup, after me e Setter's are gone, getting Stormy was really hard on them. Anyway I'm pretty much convinced the last one will be another Red Setter and some insensitive sucker like you come's along and post's a photo of a shorthair pup. It is appearing to me that the last pup will have to be pup's, one of each!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jungleboy:
Well it's been a month since I last posted, Cooper & I have been out as much as possible.

Probably average 3x/week & have gotten a nice mix of huns, Sharptail Grouse & Pheasants.

He's really doing well, retrieves to hand & hunts hard. Still likes to occasionally chase/point

rabbits & actually met a porcupine today! Only two quills so a great introduction.

Here he is with a couple of nice wild roosters.

He will be 8 months old next week, already pretty seasoned with 40 + birds over him.

Don, don't feel too bad, Setters are awesome bird dogs (except they're burr magnets!!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking dog. At only 8 months, I'd say he is doing extremely well. Congratulations.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great profile. It shows a classic GSP nose profile. I like the solid color of his head and I bet he doesn't shed as much as my Drahty does. You should be proud of him. He still looks like he has a little growing to do, to catch up with his feet.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Well, it's been almost two months & Cooper is doing well. We've been hunting wild

Hungarian Partridges (Dec-mid Jan), but now the season is closed & are left with

release pheasants. The two ranches we hunt have enough wild pheasant to make

us work hard. He's actually hunting quite hard, retrieving nicely & only occasionally

chases a rabbit! He wasn't too fond of Christmas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting B&P shell out of those Damascus double barrel?

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Norseman,

No, in the photo with the B&P shells, that is a 12 g H&H Royal Sidelock with normal fluid

steel barrels. In the 20 g Lang underlever with damascus barrels, I do shoot reduced

load, RST shotshells.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your dog doesn't look right, it looks naked without a beard!
Proud owner of 2 Deutsch Drahthaar's.

Cabela's is discontinuing there B&P shell's with the "Gordon System" in Oregon and they are closed out at $5.88 a box and I bought 20 boxes which will be perfect dove shooting and quail hunting. I wonder if it closed out nation wide?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cooper has grown into a wonderful dog, Jungleboy. Thanks for posting all the photos of him -- and of your lovely shotguns.

Norseman: "Gordon system"?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's supposed to be reduced recoil but it is not.
However, it patterned very nicely and totally dusted those clays. Maybe Springfield/Eugene Cabela's might have some left over. All 20 gauge are gone in Tualatin.

Posts: 14 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the winter of '70 duck hunting I found a grown female GSP running loose, lost, no collar. No one around the park knew anything. I took her in and home. Cold SOB of a winter, -30 and 2' of snow.

At home on the ranch with the folks and chickens etc. I guess she got in trouble. I left for the Army just a couple weeks later. Everything turned out wonderful for her. One of Dad's friends raised GSP's and welcomed having her for nothing but, the feed bill. He bred and raised a number of litters from her. I never saw her again after I'd left, regretfully. At least she had a great loving home and was appreciated.

The friend and all his dogs etc are many years gone now. I have no real regrets. Still wonder at times who she belonged to. She was totally afraid of even seeing a gun so maybe she was shot at and ran off, or shot over way too close maybe. She was ruined for hunting for anything I heard.

Cooper is a beauty, thanks for sharing with us.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Well, Cooper is now a year old! Went by quickly, he has turned out to be a great buddy.

Now that bird season is over, he has to tag along with us whether we're hiking, shed hunting

or riding the horses. Still loves to chase rabbits & has unbelievable energy & stamina.

Hope to be able to make many more years of updates on this little fella.

posted Hide Post
He's lookin' good. Thanks for sharing him with us.

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Cooper went on his first motorcycle ride last week!

He thought it was pretty fun (I think?)

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful post, a great looking dog, awesome shotguns and fine wingshooting tales! Please keep it going!

Cooper reminds me a bit of a bitch that we had Purdey ( everyone has to have a Purdey right!)
Half GSP and half English Pointer. A great bitch that had a magnificent nose. When she was young she looked a bit like Cooper.

Only picture I have to hand is this one

Keep the post rolling and wish you both many many happy hunting years together !

Charlie

Ps I hope you don't mind me posting a pic of another dog on your thread.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Well, Cooper is now 17 months old & doing well. He was pretty much a ranch

dog over the Spring & Summer (riding around on a 4 wheeler or truck while I

irrigated, moved cattle, put up hay,...). However, Sept is here & we have been

out twice already, went to the mountains with a good buddy & his Griffon for

Blue Grouse & got three. Two days later we went to the plains of Southern Montana

& limited out (3) on Sharptail Grouse. Cooper seems to remember his job &

has done well so far, hopefully many more over the next 6 months!