Find
Notify
Tools

Small Münsterländer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
In 43 years of hunting (with 3 Labradors for small game), I have not met more than 10 of those German pointing spaniels and have always been impressed by the quality of their work. They are still not common but have won quite a following in France since a few years. In Germany, it's another story and these dogs are used successfully on small and big game, even used on blood spoors. When my last Lab Czar died in 2013, I decided to acquire a Münsterländer as my 1st pointing dog. There being only 2 breeders in my country, I put my name on the bottom of a waiting list and hoped (Münsterländers are only sold to hunters, as the result of an agreement between breeders who insist on keeping the hunting instinct intact)... Finally, I got a call that I could get –not choose- a little bitch, which came as a surprising nr. 8 as the echography had only detected a litter of 7 (all of which were pre-sold long ago). Since then, we have developed a complicity and become a hunting team I never had before. She's a true war machine, picking up the scent of game at < 10 meters under cover, before closing in and pointing, steady as a rock! She also comes along on deer stalking where she remains calm and steady (until I shoot, that is...) and follows a blood track very efficiently. She even surprised me lately : we were nearing a Roebuck I just shot and, when the comatose animal shivered, she launched herself and grabbed the dying animal by the throat, jaws clenched, strangling for long minutes, while I fumbled unsuccessfully with the flash of my camera. Only after I was able to take a photo, did she release her prey on my insistence. Field dressing the buck, I found the larynx was crushed. I called the breeder afterwards and he replied that this behaviour was instinctive and as expected... Enough said, here come a few pics of Mabel du Clos des Renards :

Mabel pointing

Mabel, silent but watchful in mirador

Mabel strangles (sorry for pic quality, taken w/o flash in the dark, then numerically brightened)

Mabel and I with latest roebuck, harvested on 05.03.2016

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Wonderful dog, your Mabel, and a fantastic breed. Glad to see you both in pics here.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your beautiful companion with us André.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
A winning combination! Keep posting more stories.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
Great dogs!

My brother had one, a lot of natural hunting ability. Was easy to train. She was a good combo with my Toller at the time!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,

You have a very good looking female SM. Her conformation looks very good from what I can see in these pics. Possibly a little long but not overly so. I lost my 11 1/2 yr old SM in December.
For 11 1/2 years,I had a best friend, loyal companion and topnotch hunting partner. Enjoy yours while you have her! You can look forward to your most satisfying hunting years to come.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sproulman:
Very nice to read this.My SM is grandson of late FEZ brought over from pond long ago to usa by Dean Razmussen...He is 3 years old and named Whiskers because his confirmation on mouth is unreal looks like cat
Whiskers..

I hunt ruff grouse/phez with him here in pa ..No phez that gets away from him they are deadly..
RuffGrouse they do not do as good because they are trackers ..

SETTERS are king of grouse dogs because they air scent and lock up.You cannot get close to wild grouse..

I spent a lot of time trying to make SM in grouse dog you cannot because at first scent they put their nose down and start tracking.

If SM can be trained to lock up at first scent of grouse then you have something there for sure ..

SM can swim,retrieve,track,point ..

They are good in home and nice with people...

They do shed hair so I keep him cutback not looking as nice as with hair..

There is 2 lines of SM one is different look in face and bigger size.I got line that is SMALL and face looks different than bigger...In heat of fall you want a SMALL dog ..

you can read a LOT of info at our club site on SM..

SMCNA IS NAME ..

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two Munsterlander breeds. Small and Large. Small Munsterlanders average 21 1/2" shoulder height for males (females average 1" shorter)and all are brown and white. Large munsterlnders average a little larger, around 1 to 1 1/2" more at shoulder. There are a few other differences but the above two are the most noticeable. They have seperate breed registries.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
There are two Munsterlander breeds. Small and Large. Small Munsterlanders average 21 1/2" shoulder height for males (females average 1" shorter)and all are brown and white. Large munsterlnders average a little larger, around 1 to 1 1/2" more at shoulder and all are black and white. There are a few other differences but the above two are the most noticeable. They have seperate breed registries.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
There are two Munsterlander breeds. Small and Large. Small Munsterlanders average 21 1/2" shoulder height for males (females average 1" shorter)and all are brown and white. Large munsterlnders average a little larger, around 1 to 1 1/2" more at shoulder and all are black and white. There are a few other differences but the above two are the most noticeable. They have seperate breed registries.

465H&H

chris hill.

She sent me article of the 2 LINES in small munsters ..little line has name like dorsham ,different face dog..Mine is smaller line smaller bone body ..The 2 lines came from 2 different countries and got mixed over years .But you can see it i did before i bought Whiskers dean razmussen has the SMALL size line thru FEZ. Keven Crabtree has the line from FEZ and Whiskers is the small.I saw difference in dogs her pics from 100 years ago show the 2 different lines of SM. You are looking at like 10 pd difference in 2 lines and faces are different ..

yes i know about the LARGE MUNSTERS I attened trail with one 5 years ago at WARRIORSMARK ..he scored very high in trails ..

Posts: 110 | Location: wilds of pa .... | Registered: 31 December 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is best info on SM and one of our top breeders chris hill..She has info going way back on the SM on her site if you scroll around...Her front page under [ history of sm ] CLICK on that tells about the 2 lines of SM .She had pictures of faces too bigger ones usually have white streak down face others brown face on smaller line..

www.hunthills.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
In 43 years of hunting (with 3 Labradors for small game), I have not met more than 10 of those German pointing spaniels and have always been impressed by the quality of their work. They are still not common but have won quite a following in France since a few years. In Germany, it's another story and these dogs are used successfully on small and big game, even used on blood spoors. When my last Lab Czar died in 2013, I decided to acquire a Münsterländer as my 1st pointing dog. There being only 2 breeders in my country, I put my name on the bottom of a waiting list and hoped (Münsterländers are only sold to hunters, as the result of an agreement between breeders who insist on keeping the hunting instinct intact)... Finally, I got a call that I could get –not choose- a little bitch, which came as a surprising nr. 8 as the echography had only detected a litter of 7 (all of which were pre-sold long ago). Since then, we have developed a complicity and become a hunting team I never had before. She's a true war machine, picking up the scent of game at < 10 meters under cover, before closing in and pointing, steady as a rock! She also comes along on deer stalking where she remains calm and steady (until I shoot, that is...) and follows a blood track very efficiently. She even surprised me lately : we were nearing a Roebuck I just shot and, when the comatose animal shivered, she launched herself and grabbed the dying animal by the throat, jaws clenched, strangling for long minutes, while I fumbled unsuccessfully with the flash of my camera. Only after I was able to take a photo, did she release her prey on my insistence. Field dressing the buck, I found the larynx was crushed. I called the breeder afterwards and he replied that this behaviour was instinctive and as expected... Enough said, here come a few pics of Mabel du Clos des Renards :

Mabel pointing

Mabel, silent but watchful in mirador

Mabel strangles (sorry for pic quality, taken w/o flash in the dark, then numerically brightened)

Mabel and I with latest roebuck, harvested on 05.03.2016

Here in pa you cannot use dog to hunt deer..I have had hunters say they were going to shoot Whiskers for chasing deer.He was not I disturbed their archery hunting....We can use dog on rabbits/coyotes of course Ruff Grouse/Pheasants ....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is video of my breeder and smaller munsters and Whiskers mother daughter of FEZ...ENJOY...2 COLORS.BR/WHITE AND ROAN..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJCbL1Q84qw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I forgot to mention the roan color phase in SMs. My roan SM, Purdey just chewed my ass over that. The breed standards only allow around 1" + or - for breeding approval. The standards strive to limit size variation. The lines Kris is describing have such small differences that it is in my opinion, silly to try to separate them. When a dog near the lower limit, is put up for breeding approval, the Breed Council will usually recommend that the dog be bred to a dog above the breed shoulder height mean. By the way, Purdey would be a small line SM under Kris's criteria. In fact she is too short in shoulder height to be approved for breeding. Another SM of mine is to tall in the shoulder for breeding approval. Does that mean that there is a third line?

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I forgot to mention the roan color phase in SMs. My roan SM, Purdey just chewed my ass over that. The breed standards only allow around 1" + or - for breeding approval. The standards strive to limit size variation. The lines Kris is describing have such small differences that it is in my opinion, silly to try to separate them. When a dog near the lower limit, is put up for breeding approval, the Breed Council will usually recommend that the dog be bred to a dog above the breed shoulder height mean. By the way, Purdey would be a small line SM under Kris's criteria. In fact she is too short in shoulder height to be approved for breeding. Another SM of mine is to tall in the shoulder for breeding approval. Does that mean that there is a third line?

465H&H

Do to warm fall hunting in pa if you have bigger boned dog they wear out quicker ..We saw that in our labs ..Reason females are better hunters in lab on grouse they are smaller ..I had a heck of time finding hunting lab that was small for grouse...

same with SM I would go look some were real big dogs like 55 pds different heads/body height .Then found some real small like 45 area to 50 ..faces were different.

my buddy buehner runs pine creek grouse trainers here he had only SM from dean razmussen line in so.dakota ..When I saw his female she was different than ones I looked at .SMALL ..So he hooked me up with dean and I found his FEZ line had litter coming out in mn..Met Keven crabtree which is in film i showed and i got pup male from him named Whiskers..He is brown/white not roan ..then Kris told me i was not nuts on 2 lines she even sent me the 100 year old pictures of difference.....1 line was bigger and not as good looking as other in face Whiskers has like a cat face and reason we named him such .he is 51 pds and his sisters are 41/43 ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Very nice to read this.My SM is grandson of late FEZ brought over from pond long ago to usa by Dean Razmussen...He is 3 years old and named Whiskers because his confirmation on mouth is unreal looks like cat
Whiskers..

I hunt ruff grouse/phez with him here in pa ..No phez that gets away from him they are deadly..
RuffGrouse they do not do as good because they are trackers ..

SETTERS are king of grouse dogs because they air scent and lock up.You cannot get close to wild grouse..

I spent a lot of time trying to make SM in grouse dog you cannot because at first scent they put their nose down and start tracking.

If SM can be trained to lock up at first scent of grouse then you have something there for sure ..

SM can swim,retrieve,track,point ..

They are good in home and nice with people...

They do shed hair so I keep him cutback not looking as nice as with hair..

There is 2 lines of SM one is different look in face and bigger size.I got line that is SMALL and face looks different than bigger...In heat of fall you want a SMALL dog ..

you can read a LOT of info at our club site on SM..

SMCNA IS NAME ..

Sproulman,

Where are you located in PA. I'm in the Northern Tier. PM me if you want to know how I train my Britts to point immediately upon encountering grouse scent. In the last 3 or so decades when I tally the seasons results my britts have pointed 70 to 80% of the grouse we have in the air each season. Except for the tail the Britt and Small Munsterlanders have always looked very similar to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
An absolutely beautiful dog. You have piqued my curiosity.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Small Munsterlander myself. She was around 36lbs. Very affable, calm dogs. Beautiful like a brittany or setter, but much more manageable. A great versatile dog and one of only two breeds remaining that were made for falconry.

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wonderful dog.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got my male SM, Boone. He is truly a great pup, everything I was looking for.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote