Find
Notify
Tools

E collars 'inhumane'
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bullshit !
Life begins again this year. My dove season starts tomorrow.
I always train and hunt w/ an e collar. Educate then reinforce. The goal is to be fair but firm, not use force causing fear.
This morning, I plugged in the collar to prepare for tomorrow. My girl was in her crate and could not see me, but she damn sure heard her collar ang became more than exited ! She knows good times are soon to follow.
Anyone who says e collars are inhumane or abusive would quickly change their mind if they saw my girl's excitement.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt, I charge all mine in the basement. Oscar, the only hound in the house, meets me at the charging station doing back flips ready to go.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether the E-collar is humane or not is entirely dependent on how it is used. Unfortunately, too many E-collar owners think that you have to use it at a high enough setting to make the dog squeal before it will work. I have used my Dogtras for many years and have never used it at any setting over 40. Even then it has only been used to make the dog snake aware or when they head for the highway chasing a cat.

I do use the vibration mode all the time as a call back signal. My dogs also get really excited when I pick an E-collar up.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whether the E-collar is humane or not is entirely dependent on how it is used. Unfortunately, too many E-collar owners think that you have to use it at a high enough setting to make the dog squeal before it will work.

+1

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing in nature is as potentially nasty as a human, yet they call it "inhumane". I agree, just like guns, the problem is with the primate on the trigger not the inanimate object.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My dog never hunts without a Dogtra E-collar. I seldom have to use the "nick" button. Being rather sensitive she obeys 99.9% of the time to a plain whistle, if not to the "pager". But then, there's always the possibility of an hare jumping up a step in front of the dog which will probably react impulsively as a true predator and give chase, . There might be a road close by and the hare may cross it, dog following. Then, a little pinch in the neck will stop her and may save her life.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
My dog never hunts without a Dogtra E-collar. I seldom have to use the "nick" button. Being rather sensitive she obeys 99.9% of the time to a plain whistle, if not to the "pager". But then, there's always the possibility of an hare jumping up a step in front of the dog which will probably react impulsively as a true predator and give chase, . There might be a road close by and the hare may cross it, dog following. Then, a little pinch in the neck will stop her and may save her life.

Exactly! tu2

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Never saw a hunting dog that did not look forward to having an e-collar put on. I always put them on my 2 bird dogs when running them off of my property. As already mentioned mostly for safety and to keep them from running jack rabbits.

Inhumane no way.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
If I just pick up the collar or transmitter to move it to another spot my guy goes ape shit. If we don't go out he looks at me like what the hell boss. An e-collar is just a tool. When it's introduced and properly used it's really an awesome training aide.

Too many people slap it on the dog and expect results, or the collar will do all of the training for them. When it's just the opposite. Using an e-collar means more involved training, not just for the dog but for the person pushing the buttons.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get it...we can't dock tails...we get criticized for using e-collars...but we're still cutting the skin of a baby's "Johnson"....someone help me understand this. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An E-collar saved my Beagle's life. He had an insatiable lust for running deer, which is a surefire way to get shot in Pennsylvania. The only way I could break him of it was with an E-collar. Now, he doesn't even need the collar.

BTW, I've tested all of the collars I've owned on myself. It's much more startling than painful.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tested my e collars on my arm, and at the highest level on my arm I will lose muscle control so yes it hurts at the highest level, period.
The collar should be used at the minimal level that gets your dogs attention, simply if your dog gets head strong and gets so much into what he is doing the collar is there only to get his attention, that is what the nick is fr, when they refuse to listen than the constant button. The constant button should have a build in limiter which limits the stimulation to several seconds per push. This level will vary on dogs so time is needed to find that level, and yes after time you may need to readjust.
Many people mis use these collars and it ruins many dogs, again it in to be used as an attention getter.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make shock collars for dogs too?

I guess it makes sense, fetching a duck or fetching a sammich, same dynamic.

Big Grin

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken to calling my collar a hearing aid my dogs hearing improves 100% when they have it on. Big Grin

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote