THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Price for 3 year old female Llewellyn tri-color?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price for 3 year old female Llewellyn tri-color?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We put our 9 year old Brittany down this past fall due to rapid onset congestive heart failure. My wife and I have largely gotten over the loss, and came across a three year old female Llewellyn Setter, not fixed, trip color. Owner is selling due to divorce ( neither one will have time for her in posts divorce time).

What is the going rate for a dog like this? We have no desire to breed her. If we get her, we will have her spayed. Curious about how much I should offer ( or might be asked to pay).

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I always thought 2nd hand dogs were free, same as 2nd hand wives.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So much depends on if she all ready trained ect.

Does she hunt.

At 3 she has 7 to 10 years left of hunting.

I would not pay much.

A good friend of mine once told.

Never pay more for a dog then your willing to lose.

Life is to short to keep a bad dog around.

So what I am saying if you buy the dog and she turns out to be the dog from hell.

How bad will you feel about the money when you put a bullet in her head.

At 3 I take her for free if she turns out to be a great dog wonderful

If one has to get rid of her no loss.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
If she’s just a pet, puppy price seems fair providing she’s in good health.
If she’s a trained field dog it would seem a shame to spay her and make a pet out of her. I’ve seen top notch three year olds sell for 10-20 grand 30-40 years ago.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
If she’s a trained field dog it would seem a shame to spay her and make a pet out of her. I’ve seen top notch three year olds sell for 10-20 grand 30-40 years ago.

Wow! faint

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can’t remember ever paying anything for a dog. When I was young I ran with my dogs and we caught and killed a lot of hogs with a knife or 22 pistol.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with asking money, it adds value to the dog so like many other give aways if something goes wrong off to the pound they go. Now arriving at a value should be an agreeable price, and as a fail safe if things go bad and the desire to re home what are the original owners feelings or suggestions. Dogs are pack animals and to disrupt their pack can be traumatic to them and may result in some form of bad behavior. There are breed specific adoption sites

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:

As stated above price is dependent on ability and breeding.
I have known bird dogs and hounds to sell for 6 figures.
Is there a paticular reason to spay?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have competed dogs for quite a few years, people who are really into their breed will get them into preliminary competition to see if they have potential, in AKC retriever it would be for dogs under 2 years called DERBY and qualifying for those over 2. A high percentage of dog owners utilize pro trainers and they are the ones entering the dogs in these competition . Many dogs who get enough Derby points get sold to people who do not want to wait 2 years to see if they have what it takes and a lot of those dogs get washed out in full competition such the "Open or All Age", these dogs either as sold as wash outs or returned to the owner since a responsible trainer will not waste their clients money if the dog will not cut it. Now pro trainer will charge anywhere in the range of $500 to $3k per month plus competition fees. I purchased one of my lab pups from a wealthy businessman who purchased a excellent young lab for $30K and with a $2400/month pro was not able to get the dog into the ranks of a National qualifier. Most wash outs can go from a few thousand to whatever the buyer is willing to pay They are generally very good dogs with a fault however small it maybe which keeps the out of the ranks of super dog.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine paid about 3k for a ready to hunt setter a few years ago that was 3-4 years old. He also bought it to breed one of his female setters to. I would think any where from 500 on up depending on training. Pup prices for hunting dogs are easy over 1000 now.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is a broke dog for foot hunting I’d say $2-3k is a fair price. By broke dog I mean will hold a point , retrieve to hand or stay with the bird. Back another dog in point. Not gun shy. If your not a breeder no sense in keeping her intact . I’d fix and you don’t have to worry about males and heat cycles.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
If this is a broke dog for foot hunting I’d say $2-3k is a fair price. By broke dog I mean will hold a point , retrieve to hand or stay with the bird. Back another dog in point. Not gun shy. If your not a breeder no sense in keeping her intact . I’d fix and you don’t have to worry about males and heat cycles.

tu2

$3k is cheap for a finished setter ready to hunt from good breeding. If you don’t want to breed her then spay and don’t worry about her coming into season when it’s hunting season.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big question is whether it's a trained hunting dog or just a house pet.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the dog will dependably search for and retrieve cripples its worth more.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote