THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Hunters leave 50,000 greyhounds to die at the end of Spanish hunting season

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters leave 50,000 greyhounds to die at the end of Spanish hunting season
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://finance.yahoo.com/news...eason-121304720.html

Hunters leave 50,000 greyhounds to die at the end of Spanish hunting season

Ross McGuinness Yahoo News UK March 4, 2019

Up to 50,000 greyhounds have been left to die in Spain at the end of hunting season, animal rights campaigners have claimed.

They say thousands of the dogs are abandoned at the end of the season by cruel hunters who discard them to avoid paying for food to keep them alive.

It is estimated that there are 200,000 “galgueros”, who own up to ten working dogs – or “galgos” – each, and that about 50,000 are abandoned after the hunting season is over.

Spain’s hunting season for small game runs between October and February and sees hunters go after grouse, pheasants and rabbits.

The galgos are used for hare coursing, which is banned in the UK. In Spain, it is illegal to hunt outside the season, so hunters discard their dogs.

The animals are thrown down wells, tied to railway lines or left at the side of busy roads, campaigners say.

The Mail Online reported that charities struggle to cope with the large numbers of abandoned dogs.

Anna Clements, who is originally from Manchester, saves 350 dogs a year through the charity SOS Galgos.

She told the Mail Online: “This is Spain’s dirty secret and something tourists rarely see.

“We are expecting an influx of thousands of abandoned dogs but we, and other charities, cannot cope. We cannot save them all.

“They are brutally treated when the hunters have finished with them – some are thrown down wells and the well opening is blocked off with wood.

“But some survive and we had one recently who was saved when a passer-by heard her cries.

“She was lying in water at the bottom of the well, was badly malnourished and had deep gashes on her neck.

“The fire brigade was able to winch her to safety and she is now recovering with a family where she is a loved pet.”

The galgos are regarded as working dogs and are exempt from animal welfare laws which cover pets.

“They are often kept in dungeons in the dark for most of the day and fed poorly so they are more eager from prey when they are let out,’ said Ms Clements.

“The lucky ones are found and have a chance – others are left to die, often alone, in excruciating pain.

“Galgos are naturally calm, loving and gentle animals but they are deprived of all love and don’t know what that is.

“The ones that survive are deeply traumatised and have trust issues to begin with but we can re-home them and give them the lives they deserve.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
By god, if this is true, those Spaniards can go diddle themselves. Shameful bastards!
We have enough sin to pay for here in the States with our dog-racing industry, but it is nothing compared to this.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16295 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullshit.

50,000 coursing dogs in Spain? Not likely.

Consider the source - People who have demonstrated their willingness to create news that support their objectives.

I call BULLSHIT.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bullshit!

If they has said 5 dogs, I might have believed them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullshit!
Sounds like UK Animal Rights actvist BS to me.
Question: at the end of each season they kill 50,000......all their trained hounds.....then have to start fresh with a young pup each year? Not likely.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do kow of outfitters in the Yukon and NWT who routinely shoot their pack dogs at the end of the hunt so they don't have to feed them. A good friend forced the guide/outfitter to take the dogs back out at the end of his Dall sheep hunt.
While I don't actually believe the 50,000 number, I don't doubt the possibility that a very large number of dogs are abandoned just this way. Same thing happens all the time in North Carolina. Beagles and foxhounds are disposable once the season is over. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3484 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Bullshit. Good dogs are expensive. Most dog owners would dispose of family members before they disposed of a good dog.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you missed the second part of the article where sarah comes on singing in the back round and for only 2.99E per day you can save one of these unfortunate dogs.
they will even send you a picture of a dog similar to the one you personally are saving to hunt another day.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like BS to me.

A good trained dog is to hard to come by just to let go.

I could see killing the worthless ones no use feeding them.

Life is to short to put up with a bad dog.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good money in "rescuing" animals. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I do kow of outfitters in the Yukon and NWT who routinely shoot their pack dogs at the end of the hunt so they don't have to feed them. A good friend forced the guide/outfitter to take the dogs back out at the end of his Dall sheep hunt.
While I don't actually believe the 50,000 number, I don't doubt the possibility that a very large number of dogs are abandoned just this way. Same thing happens all the time in North Carolina. Beagles and foxhounds are disposable once the season is over. Regards, Bill

Post the names of these outfitters.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree it does sound like hyperbole to me.

I am surprised they don't sell them to the Chinese. In some parts of China and Taiwan, dog meat is considered a specialty that wards off sickness during cold weather.

I wouldn't want to eat it, but that would be a better option than just leaving the dogs to starve.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

I am surprised they don't sell them to the Chinese. In some parts of China and Taiwan, dog meat is considered a specialty that wards off sickness during cold weather.

I wouldn't want to eat it, but that would be a better option than just leaving the dogs to starve.

BH63

Funny you say that.

A few days ago they showed Bassinger, one of Hollywood’s bimbos, in South East Asia on a campaign to stop people there from eating dogs.

Just imagine the stupidity of the Western idiot!

Some Indians consider cows as sacred, I have not seen them demonstrating against McDonald selling Berger’s!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

BH63

Funny you say that.

A few days ago they showed Bassinger, one of Hollywood’s bimbos, in South East Asia on a campaign to stop people there from eating dogs.

Just imagine the stupidity of the Western idiot!

Some Indians consider cows as sacred, I have not seen them demonstrating against McDonald selling Berger’s!

Sure they do. You will get criminally lynched to death in parts of India for being a Muslim and alleging to have consumed beef.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news...190719152312505.html

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You never know in Spain. In the late 60s, I knew a fellow bird hunter by the name of Ray Maestrelli. He was also a dentist under the employ of the USAF. He was required to travel to Spain from Langley Va. where we were stationed to fix this officer's mouth. Seems he got drunk, climbed a fence, + went toro, toro, toro + got horned in the mouth for his indiscretions. The point here was that since he was in Spain he thought to take advantage of the bird hunting. When there was a picture posted of him beside a pile of birds that looked like Ad Tuepperwein's pile of wooden blocks the Spanish authorities were VERY enraged, + rightfully so. Had it not been the 60s + he a US major in-service things would have been quite different.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote