New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sick dog question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My friends dog is passing these weevil looking bugs. They sent pictures to their veterinarian and she has never seen anything like this. They don't look like any maggot that I have seen; there are two sizes and they move pretty fast on concrete. Anyone know what they might be?

One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
I don't know what they are, but I would have a stool sample and the dog at the vet, pronto!

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Botfly maggots? They don't look like any intestinal parasite I have seen come out of dog.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think your friend is correct about where the "weevils" are coming from.

There are no internal canine parasites that look like any typical insects.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they are coming from the dog, a round of Safeguard will solve the problem.

They need 1 ML per 5 pounds of body weight, given orally on three consecutive days.

Use the 10% liquid solution.

It can be bought at many farm supply and feed stores.

It's a lot cheaper than going to a Vet, and it will treat other worms as well.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 'weevils' are way too big for normal parasites unless maybe the dog's deficating something like those spider-thingys from the Alien movies.

If so, your friend's only recourse will be to shoot the poor dog before he spreads those 'bugs' to a human host. Then immediately burn the caracas.

Likely as not, you'll save the planet.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dn't waste time talking about something like that on the internet. Get that dog to a vet!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Flies ,just but and aerosol and put in the injure 5 times a day ,very common .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snyper:
If they are coming from the dog, a round of Safeguard will NOT solve the problem.

Safeguard is an old dewormer not labeled for what you are showing. Some of the newest dewormer like “Interceptor Plus” May clean out your dog! Check with your Vet! They want your dog to live.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife says might be Botfly larvae
https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=iae3b4_I13ZndM:

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote