THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    play the dirge for Beau

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

play the dirge for Beau
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Beau in background

Yes play the dirge for Beau. You were part of our family for only 13 months. In those 13 months you proved to be one of the best of the best. Faithful almost to a fault, gentle for the monster you were, a guardian of the family, and a defender of the pack. One hell of a hunting dog, the only one I ever owned that was both catch dog and bay dog. You had the best nose I've seen, and could kill and did kill on occasion hogs up to 150 lbs in weight. That combination I've never seen before or since, I guessed derived from being half Catahoula and half Argentine Dogo.

You found the boar that killed you. You led the pack out the woods, across the pasture, and into the swamp. You took this boar head on. I wasn't there to see it, but you've displayed your great courage so many times, I know it is true. We worked hard to get you out of the swamp to bring you to the vet, but you didn't make it. Your great heart stopped. I begged you to stay.

It's been over a year now that you lie under the mulberry tree. I've placed a little marker there over your grave, I miss you still. You will never be replaced. Tears well up in my eyes as I type this, I hope to see you again.

Love Larry.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Words from the heart, only fully understood by those who have "begged one to stay."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
It hasn't been very many months since we let one go, against our will. Sorry for your loss. Hope the hog is deceased.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Larry, It never is nor will be easy. We were hunting in sugar cane in RSA two years back, an old and cunning sow, she ran and then stopped and waited for the lead dog to catch up and then hammered him and ran on. We lost 3 dogs and 2 wounded that day before we got that sow. It was amazing seeing the dogs go on despite having lost a number of the pack. Good dogs are rare and are there to be cherished whilst we have them !

Happy memories.

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Damn well written. Sorry for the loss.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
feel your pain and you will always have great memories of your faithful companion.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_dog.htm

lt never gets any easier, and l doubt we'd have it any other way.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sucks after you raise and train them and something like that happens. We just recently had 1 bear kill 6 in about an hour and have put 40 staples in anorher

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
It sucks after you raise and train them and something like that happens. We just recently had 1 bear kill 6 in about an hour and have put 40 staples in anorher

Just damn...so sorry.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote