THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    How do you train your dogs?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you train your dogs?
 Login/Join

posted
Do you use any device in training your dogs for hunting? I'm thinking of having this shock collar because it is the most common tool used when training dogs. Inexpensive, safe, and effective, this clever device is able to give guidance to what behaviors are right and wrong.

Posts: 3 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 07 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the day I get a pup, a long leash stays on them until training is finished. At about two months, they get a 15 foot rope they drag around. Whistle training and “here” training starts as soon as I get them. Once they love me, then I start with a starter pistol either over their food or with hotdog pieces as rewards. Hotdog pieces are invaluable as training devices. I add a shock collar when needed on some dogs to reinforce the here command only. Some of my Gordon’s have been hunted over and retrieved at 4 months, but that’s usually only when they’ve been following their #1 trainer, the Momma dog.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you training the dog to do? An e-collar is just a training tool. It allows for corrections to be made remotely. It will not teach a dog anything. You need to teach the dog first.

I have used them for 20 plus years training retrievers. There are number of training resources. Look for Smartworks, Total Retriever Training, Dobbs, etc.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TWall:
What are you training the dog to do? An e-collar is just a training tool. It allows for corrections to be made remotely. It will not teach a dog anything. You need to teach the dog first.

I have used them for 20 plus years training retrievers. There are number of training resources. Look for Smartworks, Total Retriever Training, Dobbs, etc.

Tom[/QUOTE

I call them my hearing aid for dogs their hearing improves greating when using them.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Dogs are easy to train, dog owners very difficult to train. There are no electronic shortcuts. Many field trial champions and top class hunting dogs have been trained without the use of a shock collar. They have their place but a lot of damage can be done to a dog, and very quickly. Basic heel, sit, stay and recall must be in place, using a lead and choke collar.
If you get this right, you are a long way to having a really good gundog. Join a club, educate yourself and enjoy your dog. IMHO

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I trained one GSP. Got him as a pup. He turned out great on pheasant and quail. I used the book "Gun Dog", along with a live pheasant and a couple live pigeons. Never used a shock collar.

I also got a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She was almost 2 years old and had some vices. I bought the book "Water Dog", and she turned out to be the best waterfowl retriever I have saw. I also used her occasionally for pheasants in heavy cover and she hunted well, but her coat picked up too many cockleburrs.

Just remember ARC.

Associate - desired behavior with reward.
Repeat - lessons until the dog knows what to do.
Consistency - be consistent in your commands, expectations, and rewards/punishments.

Above all, let the dog enjoy it's puppy hood and never punish it too severely, generally a loud No! or swat on the butt will suffice.

Make sure you love it and it loves you before starting the training.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I trained one GSP. Got him as a pup. He turned out great on pheasant and quail. I used the book "Gun Dog", along with a live pheasant and a couple live pigeons. Never used a shock collar.

I also got a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She was almost 2 years old and had some vices. I bought the book "Water Dog", and she turned out to be the best waterfowl retriever I have saw. I also used her occasionally for pheasants in heavy cover and she hunted well, but her coat picked up too many cockleburrs.

Just remember ARC.

Associate - desired behavior with reward.
Repeat - lessons until the dog knows what to do.
Consistency - be consistent in your commands, expectations, and rewards/punishments.

Above all, let the dog enjoy it's puppy hood and never punish it too severely, generally a loud No! or swat on the butt will suffice.

Make sure you love it and it loves you before starting the training.

BH63

That's pretty much it.

Consistency
Repetition
Praise.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing.

Introduce the pup to the sound of gun fire gradually.

What I like to do is let the dog run out a little bit, poking around in the weeds, nice and relaxed, and then I shoot a .410 (away from the direction of the dog) while it is looking at something.

It should pop it's head up and look at you. Just say something reassuring and keep walking like nothing has happened.

Do that once or twice over a couple of different trips and the dog should start learning not to get excited about the sound.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would NOT do as you are contemplating unless you first educate yourself about training methods and the use of e-collars. As was said above, you can do a lot of damage to a dog in a split second using an e-collar.

A lot of fine bird dogs have been trained with a check cord and pinch collar.

"Technology" is not the answer to training dogs - knowledge is.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
+1

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While it may be an aid in unusual circumstances, I gonna guess that there have been more dogs ruined with a shock collar than have been trained with a shock collar.
If you're trying to short cut the learning curve, you'd be better off putting the bucks into a finished dog.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've always found a dog much easier to train if it has had standard obedience training. I start my dogs the very day I bring them home from the breeder. They first learn to sit for praise (I never allow any of my dogs to jump up on people). They learn the collar and leash, how to heel, sit, stay, etc. I also train to come to a whistle when they are pups. Lots of treats for desired behavior.

I use a shock collar only for serious unwanted behavior such as going after livestock. Never for anything else. And never before basic obedience has been mastered.

I've got an untrained Decker rat terrier on the way to my place from Georgia. She's pushing 7 months of age and the owner/breeder has done no training other than it crates up for the night. I do not understand why the breeder does not work further with her puppies but the two male litter mates are also untrained.

She's going to need quite a load of training. Does not know what a collar is, leash, etc. It's to be a working dog on my very rural property assisting with varmint control. Yep, she will be a difficult student being an older puppy and a terrier, but I will take the time to make sure she is an asset to my farm operations with no shortcuts.

If you do not know how to train for obedience, sign up for a local obedience training class with your dog. These are always fun and helps socialize your dog as well. You will have a better dog for your efforts. Good luck and don't be so quick to run to an ecollar. They do work but should be the last resort.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! What a great thread! Lots of wisdom about dog training and the use of shock collars here!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
There is some good reference material available on the proper e-collar use.
When used properly you can speed up the learning curve.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a tri-tronics trash breaker. Take an e-collar class from one of the professionals that they usually offer. Delmar Smith offers good classes for bird dogs

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be very careful with an e-collar! use it only for discipline when dog knows better, and not as a puppy , treats when he has done it right, don't make training sessions too long, and quit training sessions on a good note with praise.The e-collar is a great tool but it doesn't teach as said above, also the dog has to like you and want to please you.All dogs won't make a great bird dog they are rare indeed. When I was much younger I asked an acquaintance where could get a good bird dog, his reply was a man was only allowed one good woman and one good bird dog in his life and he had already had both.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.