New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jagd terrier
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was watching a buffalo hunt and noticed a little black and brown terrier blood trailing. I researched it and found he was a Jagd terrier. They are also used to hunt burrowing animals and as flushing retrievers for pheasants. Does anyone have experience with them?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had Jagd terriers for over 15 years now. We hunt big game like bears and lions with them. They run along with our hounds. Certain lines of them are good at treeing and trailing, others are more for underground work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen Jagdterrier at work in Germany on driven hunts. They are very serious hunting dogs, in my mind the last of the true small game hard terriers. They will latch on to wild hogs, kill predators but are quite trainable. They will search up and retrieve game, land and water. Good blood trackers as mentioned.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

One of the famers that hunts / shoots with us has two Deutsche Jagd Terriers. Serious small dogs with big attitudes. Will run all day, born to hunt, pigs, deer, badger, fox, pheasant you name it and they will hunt it! Very popular in Europe.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I had one. Good dog but reverse was broken, which led to his untimely end. Crossed him over a Jack Russell female and produced some of the best working terriers I’ve ever had.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone said, very serious dogs. Have seen them in action of wild hogs in Germany. More often than not, the hat gets passed to pay for the vet bills. They have little sense of self preservation. Not a dog for everyone and will probably not be chummy with your next door neighbors pets.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote