THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    A seriously terrible problem

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A seriously terrible problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is very likely I am allergic to dogs. And I have a hairy shedding German Shepherd.

Runny nose, sneezing (massive fits), watery eyes, itching hands after I pet a dog. It’s bad.

Will have more info in next 4 weeks but the problem is pretty clear.

I went to outdoor dog event (hundreds of dogs) and I had to leave and I did not even touch any dogs.

Going to have to start looking at hypoallergenic dogs.

This truly sucks.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are medications that will solve your problem, check with your pharmacy or doctor

https://www.google.com/search?...f-8&client=firefox-b

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Poodles are supposed to cause less allergy problems due to very little shedding. Standards and mini's both hunt.

I once judged a bigger miniature poodle in a NAHRA field test. His name was Percy. Great little dog. Had no problem retriever ducks, land and water, that looked almost as big as him. His downfall was his great nose. He trailed duck scent from the previous days trailing test. No other dog indicated the old trail.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mike! You need to get rid of your Shepherd and get a poodle!

A poodle will go great with those Blowsers!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your allergist, desensitization shots might be an option for you as well.

Posts: 10600 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
serious diseases such as this occur shortly after purchasing a blaser wave

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same reaction to cats...tough deal. I don't know that I'd start taking meds just to be able to live with the GS. See if Mom will take him?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I have the same reaction to cats...tough deal. I don't know that I'd start taking meds just to be able to live with the GS. See if Mom will take him?

He is basically her dog.

I come to visit him, my blasers and home cooked food.

Central Florida sucks for all allergy stuff but the coast is fine. Ocean breeze is good for allergy relief but terrible on guns.

Will have more info Thursday after another doctor visit.

I love German Shepherd but I don’t think I will ever have another one. I can’t deal with the hair, the allergies and the vet bills.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a dog lover I feel for you Beretta.

I couldn't imagine my life without my dogs.
As others have mentioned there are various "cures" treatments available. I hope you find something that suits your needs.

At the end of the day it's not as bad as;
Quote by Beibs "I have the same reaction to cats", being allergic to Pussies shocker

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the guns EEZOX. I spend a lot of time in the Panhandle on the coast.

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks the dog for every Blaser owner along with a powder blue Prius.

Good luck in your search Mike. Wink

Hope your pooch is better!

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

I hope Beibs does not read this.....

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope Beibs does not read this.....

He wont see it for a while, at least not whilst he's out looking for his dog !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Consider yourself blessed Smiler

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikey, I had the same physical reaction, plus severe nausea, when I shared a camp with you in Burkina Faso. Go figure :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was competing in a retrievr competition (HRC) and there was a person with a tiny poodle with bows on, to my surprise he was entered and I had to watch it since the ducks probably weighed more than the dog. The poodle hopped out to the falls and had to drag the duck back by its head, I did not stick around to see if it passed but it was something to watch.
quote:

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Pudelpointer, not a poodle. They are a German versatile breed developed from the ancient German Water Pudel and the predecessor to the modern Pointer, the breed was breed was developed a couple hundred years ago. I have owned a couple, they are excellent versatile hunting dogs and the blood lines are field proven, unlike poodles trying to regain a purpose is life. And as far ss I know they are less allergenic, like standard poodles.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
Try a Pudelpointer, not a poodle. They are a German versatile breed developed from the ancient German Water Pudel and the predecessor to the modern Pointer, the breed was breed was developed a couple hundred years ago. I have owned a couple, they are excellent versatile hunting dogs and the blood lines are field proven, unlike poodles trying to regain a purpose is life. And as far ss I know they are less allergenic, like standard poodles.

Thank you for this info.

I will start looking st this breed. I need to get another dog in the next year or two.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Mike is a Tesla man. He is looking for a Rainbow colored one.

Look into Labradoodles (hypoallergenic) as well Mike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36551 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irish water spaniels are another breed that are much less allergenic that most breeds. I believe the pudelpointer, poodle, Irish water spaniel, portugese water dog, and maybe a couple of others are all related from way back when.

There used to be a gentleman from AZ that would come over to our hunt tests in NM. He had poodles because his kids were allergic to Labradors and other retrievers. Over the years, several did pretty respectable jobs of retrieving. And I trained with a woman up in the Loveland CO area that had some exceptional retrieving poodles. She's since gone over to Labradors because she got the field trial bug. Some poodles can do a hunt test, but I'll bet there will never be a poodle that can do a field trial.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I dove hunted on a gentleman's farm in NW La. He had an amazing standard poodle that would and usually did easily out find and our retrieve the usually crowd of labs, etc. I didn't get all details but he obtained the dog from Algerian stock that was still used for hunting, not imitating a woman's......well, you know. One of the finer dogs I ever saw in action, and I shot a several field trials.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, what did your allergist say? I would hate to have a dog allergy. I love the critters to pieces.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote