THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Any experience with Corgi's

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Corgi's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience hunting with this breed?
Been without a dog for some years now. Don't hunt waterfowl much at all anymore and when I do I hunt with folks with dogs. So I was thinking about a dog that would be a good hunting companion for whitetail and nilgai in South Texas, able to blood trail, as well as a good house dog, as I no longer have much of a yard -- so any terrier is out.

Was thinking Corgi or beagle. Welcome thoughts?

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I would not have thought of a Corgi for this work, but they do have a herding background somewhere in their breeding. Thinking those short legs might not be much help negotiating your Texas scrub, that can bite back. I think a beagle might be the better choice, but maybe we have some Corgi fans here who can shed more light.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Parents have one, not sure if it is Welsh or Pembroke. Kills the shit out of rabbits and gophers in the yard.

Doesn't dig.

He's fat and old now, they are going to have to do something with him in the next couple of years.

He doesn't like to travel, he goes to my sister's house when they leave town and he's pretty upset with everyone for a few days when they get home.

He is an odd size for napping, as part of his body is usually hanging off the chair on my dad when he sleeps. Dad is 80, and I think Ralphie is 11? They nap about 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes.

Dad says he is the best dog he has ever had, and they have probably had 30.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Corgi are indeed a herding breed.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sister has 2 at their farm in Vermont, and love them. Not sure about blood trailing and all, but great little companions. cc

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who had Corgis over the years. He sure likes them but I'm not sure about tracking as I am pretty sure there is a stringent law about dogs and big game hunting in Misery. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short legs in Texas, I don't think so. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My parents lived in Casper, until about 3 years ago and then for some stupid reason (their words, but mine as well) they moved to Cheyenne.

The only good thing about where they live in Cheyenne (about 3 miles east of town) they don't have many snakes.

Their place in Casper got more diamondbacks than I do here in New Mexico and I get 2-3 a year (that I know about).

In Casper, their corgi got bit twice. The vet gave him a vaccination to help with rattlesnake bites. I don't know anything about it or what it was.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As ann said corgi’s are a herding animal for sheep . You will be disappointed in one as a hunting dog. Beagle would be a good choice for blood trailing and chasing Jack rabbits. Why not a Jack Russell terrier or a Jaig terrier .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at clumber spaniels also . They are great hunting dogs and fun companions. Not all jacked up like a terrier . You don’t need a huge yard for terrier s either just a place to take them to burn off some steam

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experiences with Corgis is all bad. They are sneaky little ankle biters who do not have the courage to come at you from the front. Part of this is because they were bred to herd cattle by heel biting to force bovines to move on a desired direction. Unfortunately some of this reed seems to regard people as animals to be herded.Never trust one behind you unless you enjoy being ankle bitten!

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
I cant resist......the only person I know that has corgis, and she has had many over the years, and is a dedicated hunter and fly fisher...well you should write her a letter.....with the following advice from google;

According to the official royal website, the letter should be addressed to Her Majesty the Queen, Buckingham Palace, London, SW1A 1AA, and should you wish to write formally, the site gives the following advice: "You can open with 'Madam' and close the letter with the form 'I have the honour to be, Madam, Your Majesty's humble and obedient servant'. This traditional approach is by no means obligatory. You should feel free to write in whatever style you feel comfortable." Good Luck and let us know if she answers you

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote