THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Need some help with an eye affliction

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with an eye affliction
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I have a lab that's around 10-12 y.o. now, and for the past few months her eyes have been getting "cloudy". Surprisingly, my regular vet who normally I'm very happy with had diagnosed this as cataracts but another vet who just glanced at her when we were walking around at a fair said it was a fungal infection as you could see the cloudiness was on the cornea and not the retina. She also can have a yellow discharge from the affected eye as well.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Other than this situation, I've had the same vet for 30+ years and am very happy with him, plus I'm out in the boonies so the next vet is close to an hours drive away. I live in the river valleys of the Mississippi and the Illinois so we are at risk of blastomycosis in addition to fungal keratitis but I have no knowledge of how to diagnose what she actually has and was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the correct direction. My vet is pretty open minded and I'd prefer to go back to him with some information and see where we go from there

Thanks for reading!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have always treated my dogs' eyes with a triple antibiotic ointment. It has always cleared up infections. But first you need to determine if this IS an infection.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ophthalmic antibiotics would be something to try and is the lesser of two evils. If it doesn't clear then I would say its cataracts. At that age cataracts can definitely be a possibility as well as infection especially with discharge. I would try the antibiotics first. Doesn't hurt to get a second opinion like you said also. The veterinarian should be able to distinguish where the cloudiness is coming from the cornea or the retinae

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a vet.

But a few points- cataracts affect the lens, not the retina. It’s between the outside layer (cornea) and the retina (the nerves at the back of the eye). It is easy to see the difference between cataracts and retinal or corneal problems with the right equipment. Heck, even a flashlight.

Cataracts do not cause eye drainage. Typically an infection has continuous heavy drainage (think pink eye) and the white of the eye should look irritated as well.

Typical antibiotic eye drops treat bacteria, not fungus.

If your pup is acting like his eyes are irritated, is having lots of drainage, and the lids are puffy or the whites are red, you should get him back in and explain that you are seeing these things, and ask the vet to explain what he is seeing. Cataracts might well (almost certainly are present in a 10+ year old lab) but if that explains everything is the issue. A opthamoscope will see cataracts easily, but it’s not the best thing for corneal issues- it’s hard/ next to impossible to see corneal abrasions without dye even using that- but a slit lamp makes it obvious... but those kinds of tools are not common for vets (IME).

If your vet isn’t willing to explain what he is seeing and what it means, and point it out to you, then I’d look at a second opinion.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Process of elimination, treat for fungal infection if it clears up, sweet. If not its cataracts.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7974 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you positive she doesn’t have anything in her eyes? I’ve seen grass seed make the eyes cloudy and have a discharge. Sometimes you have to flush multiple times to actually get it flushed out