THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Had to put my DD down today.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had to put my DD down today.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This has been a terrible day. My best friend's mobility went from "Ok I can't get in the truck without help" to "Whats wrong? I can't get up, can't move around the house". She was suddenly in terrible pain. I don't know what happened or why but wow what a shock. I've had her since she was 2. She would have turned 12 in Dec. She had a perfect coat, super prey drive, she would retrieve anything from almost anywhere and she loved to talk back to my wife.
My Grandsons Doodle is having her second litter in June. I have the pick. The first litter are all hunting. Anyway my heart is broken for Hannah. I keep looking for her to come downstairs and get me to go to bed. I loved that dog.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We’ve all been there, and it sucks.
The pain of loss will, hopefully soon, be softened by warm memories.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boy, do I know that place you are in.
When you said DD was Hannah a Deutsch Drahthaar?
I'd love to have any of the doodles, and hope one picks you out for "forever."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Hannah was a Drahthaar. Her full name was Anna V. Rogers-Hutte. I got her when she was a little over two. The man who had her was in an accident and couldn't hunt her anymore. She was just doing nothing in a Kennel. I took her in, house broke her, taught her some manners, she was kind of rough with the grandkids but soon learned to be careful.
I don't remember when she learned to talk but boy could she ever let you know what she thought. Both positive and negative. She loved to sass my wife when she was told to go lay down. It was truely funny to hear. Yes I'll miss her but another will be here shortly.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't do it any more. Too painful for me. I don't think that I will have another dog, as much as I'd love to have one.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condolences. I lost my 14 yo GSP a couple of months ago and now my 14 year old lab isn't far behind her. I can relate to the sense of emptiness.
There might be a dog or two in a few years when I
retire, but I'll be damned if I ever have two that are this close in age again. Sorry for the loss of your companion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sirs for the kind words. They are very much appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear of your dog.
I'm not familiar with the breed.
Seems the bigger they are the shorter
life they lead. And smaller one's usually
hang around much longer.

Wish you folks the best with healing and
finding a proper replacement.

I've decided not to get another pet. Just
isn't fair to them and I'm not very able to
take care of one now either.

Its sure empty around here without Midnight.
Around ten weeks now. I look at her picture
everytime I open the cell phone, and look out
where she is when I open the drapes in the mornings.

George

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..."I sometimes wonder if the pleasure in owning a dog is worth the misery caused by his death."

Page 143, HUNTER. By J.A. Hunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.
I know the pain.

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for the kindness you have extended. It helps.
However I am going to pick my / our new pup tomorrow. He / she will be 3/4 poodle from a male standard poodle that hunts and 1/4 golden Retriever who also hunts. The mom of this litter is half and half. The dad is a hunting standard poodle. My grandson says he has two that he thinks will be perfect for me. A black female and a blonde male. I'll learn how to post pictures and get them up for all to see when he /she comes home with us. I am 74 so I am guessing this one will be my last. I had to go this route for this breed because my wife said no to any breed that sheds and the first litter are all such great dogs. My daughter has one of the first that I see regularly. Thanks everyone again.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dwheels, I am green with envy here and so looking forward to seeing some photos of your new best pal in the world. Also thankful that the pain you feel for the loss of Hannah will be diminished with each lick on the face and wag of that puppy tail.
The mix of poodle and golden sounds perfect to me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to correct the breed information I gave for the new pup. Both parents are crosses of poodle and retriever. I guess there are better odds of getting the correct non shedding coat. I would think that this breed would also be more poodle like in personality etc.
I am missing Hannah terribly. My wife and I are walking every morning and it's much harder to motivate myself with out a dog to take with. DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwheels:

A new dog never replaces the last one, but they'll make their own place. I've been without a dog for a number of years since my old hunting companion had to be put down. Hardest day of my life. But I think I'm ready for another one. Probably my last one.

Wish you the best with your new pup.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear always a hard thing to do.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pup pics?

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had a smooth fox terrier.

She spend her time with me anytime I am home.

From jumping in the pool, to watching TV in the gym to sleeping in the shooting room.

She became old, and needed injections to help her walk.

One day the vet called that he suggests we put her down.

I said no way in hell, as she does not seem to be in pain, I would look after her.

We made her a large basket bed in our kitchen.

Stayed there when I SM out.

Once I was home, I had two smaller baskets for her.

One in the shooting room, and one in the gym.

I took her with me whenever I was home.

I always fed her myself.

I used to bring her food and stroke her as she fed.

She had no prob eating.

One day I gave lunch, and went out.

When I got back late afternoon she was dead.

I took her out and dug her a grave by one of our trees by the pool.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had to put down a number of dogs. Even with the injection by the vet and its nearly instantaneous effect, it doesn't get any easier each time. For me, I am finished having dogs for my life. At 70, I need to worry about myself.

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Always a tough day when a good friend departs. Never gets easier. But life is too short to live without a dog

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've had to put down a number of dogs. Even with the injection by the vet and its nearly instantaneous effect, it doesn't get any easier each time. For me, I am finished having dogs for my life. At 70, I need to worry about myself.

I understand what you mean.

My adult stepson's dog (which was ours for a long time) died last week, and his mother decided to give one of her dogs, a terrier mix, to him. It was her late sister's dog we inherited a couple of years ago.

So that leaves us--her, to be accurate--with one dog, a 4 lb female Chihuahua that is definitely a one-person animal.

Wife wants to get another dog "for me;" I'm 75 and don't think it's right to get a dog that will surely outlive me. I know my wife, who's ten years younger, would take care of the surviving dog but still . . . .

I've always wanted a Boykin Spaniel, and the Boykin rescue folks have a program called "Seniors for Seniors," where older Boykins are placed with old farts like me. I've applied for the program but the vetting process is pretty strict and lengthy, with no guarantee an applicant will ever be matched up with a dog.

I guess time will tell . . . .

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one owns dogs and you live long enough.

It is one of the things that a responsible dog owner has to do.

Just a fact of life.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always wanted a Boykin Spaniel, and the Boykin rescue folks have a program called "Seniors for Seniors," where older Boykins are placed with old farts like me. I've applied for the program but the vetting process is pretty strict and lengthy, with no guarantee an applicant will ever be matched up with a dog.

Wow one would think they would go begging for people to take said dogs.

I would bet a lot of money they are a non-profit and beg for money all the time.

How much money do they want to so call adopt a dog.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would bet a lot of money they are a non-profit and beg for money all the time.

The standard adoption fee is $325 plus the $25 application fee.

The site says they will discount the adoption fee for senior dogs. Doesn't say how much.

You are correct; they're a 501(c)(3) organization.

Here's the website: https://www.boykinspanielrescu...ors-for-seniors.html

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
quote:

The standard adoption fee is $325 plus the $25 application fee.

The site says they will discount the adoption fee for senior dogs. Doesn't say how much.

You are correct; they're a 501(c)(3) organization.

Here's the website: https://www.boykinspanielrescu...ors-for-seniors.html

They seem far more concerned about making money then placing dogs

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
They seem far more concerned about making money then placing dogs

Sure seems that way.

I just received a very lengthy email from the rescue administrator, outlining the extensive process I can expect to experience before I'm even eligible to adopt a dog. And then there's no guarantee I'll ever get one.

I swear, I could adopt a kid from a third-world country faster and with less vetting than this BSR mess . . . .

LTC, USA, RET
Member, SCI & DSC