THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOG FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Dogs    Police dog saves handler.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police dog saves handler.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://gma.yahoo.com/deputy-a...news-topstories.html

Pity they don't train'em to go for the throat!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
You may want to read the story. The dog was not killed as per your title.

"Frazier was able to hit a button to release his K-9, Lucas, a black Belgian Malinois, from his car, Adam said. Lucas bit the attackers, who then tried to flee in their car.

As they drove away, Lucas was still hanging onto the leg of one of the assailants, Adam said. As a result of the altercation, Lucas chipped a few teeth and bruised his shoulder.

Frazier also has bruises, including a gash on his forehead, but his injuries are not life-threatening, Adam said. Both have not been back to work since the incident, but are expected to be okay."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, correct. I was getting confused between this story and another where the dog was killed. I was interested in what button was referred to. Does it unlock and open the car door remotely?
I will change the subject line. Thanks.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine dog.

I understand that some attack dog training includes going for the groin area, I suspect that might have slowed down the one who ran back to the car with the dog hanging on his leg. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most attack dogs just go for whatever part they can get to first or whatever part you poke at them. My K-9 dog, a Mal named Taz, went high to the shoulders and head when biting unless you "fed" her an arm. She REALLY liked to bite Big Grin

I'll bet those thugs were surprised as all heck to find that dog in the middle of them biting away. Gotta love a Mal.....

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dtala, what is a dog trained to do when confronted with multiple "assailants" for want of a better word? Does he wait to be attacked before responding? Presumably his owner was down.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, when the dog is unrestrained it will attack automatically to defend its handler.

I've never done any multiple assailants training. Most bite trained dogs are trained to bite and hold, not letting go. I suspect that dog bit targets of opportunity since it was in defense mode.

"multiple attackers" reminds me of the old dog deer hunting saying..."once the tailgate drops all plans are out the window".

My K-9 Taz would get protective if you raised your voice, got too close, or raised your hand near me. By protective I mean she would get between me and the other person and very intensely growl while locking eyes on them.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my current non K-9 Mals Luna and Yana

my old dog Taz with me and a bowkilled buck she bloodtrailed for me.

Taz and I working....

RIP girl....

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DTala! Now, was your dog capable of sensing non obvious threats, of the kind that humans can sense? Humans can often sense, in a confrontation, when the perp is getting ready to launch an attack. Any idea what the button was? Presumably the dog was in the car. I assume that the button somehow opened the door for the dog?
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, the LEO in the original article had a remote button and he activated it to open the rear door and release the dog. I'll bet the dog was trying to rip the windows out before it was released.

I didn't have a remote button so my window was down or the dog was beside me. A lot of times I would leave(stay) Taz 20 feet away from folks, because a LOT of folks are scared of dogs. And it took their attention off me. They would stare at the dog and talk to me Big Grin They ALWAYS asked if she would bite. Roll Eyes

Taz could sense what I wanted/needed before I could give her a command. If a situation got squirrelly and I decided I needed her closer to me I would turn to give the come command and she would already be sitting beside me. I really think she could read what I wanted as soon as, or before, I knew it. Dog of a lifetime.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Good information!
peter.
PS. I only just saw the pictures you posted. Great pictures!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Damn fine dog.

I understand that some attack dog training includes going for the groin area, I suspect that might have slowed down the one who ran back to the car with the dog hanging on his leg. dancing

Most are trained to bite high bicep, at least currently. I have a mal also, and they definitely love to bite, often using the bite as a reward.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never gave my Mal Taz any physical reward/toy/etc, just praised her for doing good.

and she did love to bite...

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What beautiful dogs.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
We do multi attacker training and our dogs will hit one target, get called off and get directed onto another. You have to be careful with the training however as sometimes they will bounce off the first target without biting properly.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogs can/do sense beyond what we humans can/do.
I had a big male Lab trained for birds. Gentle giant. He would let kids walk him (off leash), pull his ears and ride him.One day we had a rather seedy plumber come to the house while I was at the office. The GF was alone at the house. My Lab went and sat b/w the GF and the plumber never taking his eyes off the plumber. He just sensed that 'something' was not right.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I gave some dogos for argentine army special operations unit ,they are attack dogs and can reach the femoral pretty fast .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote