Find
Notify
Tools

My new hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
After many years without a dog and close approaching retirement, well at 70 maybe a little past it, I have got a new little hunter.

Was recently out duck hunting and came across a father and sons looking for a downed duck in the dark, seen them before with Springer Spaniels. They commented one was a bit lazy as due to give birth in a weeks time, she certainly had a belly full.
They did not live far from me so enquired about getting one of the pups. She dropped her bundle of 12 pups a week later and I picked up Izzy 8 weeks later. All liver and white, I had first pick and chose the wee quiet girl with most liver colouring.

She's 12 weeks now and a loveable little English Springer, easily settled in, sat on command and retrieved her fluffy quacker toy duck almost from day one. Hunts around in close, sits, lays and rolls over.
She came from purebreed stock but no papers. Breeders have mum, dad and sister from first litter of 10 and all great hunters.

Lots of good times coming up.

busy Izzy at 11 weeks

Posts: 3830 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springers make great companions as well as wonderful hunters. I have been running them over 20 years and I love their personalities as well as how they perform in the field. I hope the two of you enjoy many pleasurable years together.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
What a sweetie! You have a new best friend in your little Springer. I had one years back - bought him while stationed in Scotland. They are high energy dogs for sure. Mine would eat almost anything - he actually loved brussel sprouts, but his favorite were Dunkin Donuts Munchkins - he would do anything for one of those!
Best wishes for many years of memorable hunting with your pup.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great dogs! I much prefer them to pointers. Our Pheasants here like to run, but a Springer will get them in the air, for sure.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pup.

Great picture, you need to have a
big print made of that for the wall.

Am happy for you and the pup too sounds
like a good match.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
A beautiful wee dog you have too. We have three ESS kids ourselves and they are just a pleasure to own.

Pete

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a beautiful girl you have there, Eagle. I am sure envious. I've had Brits, but would sure welcome an English Springer -- or even a Boykin for that matter.
Love the spaniels' conformation and temperament.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats having a new pup around (well once house broken, anyhow!)!

Congrats on your new friend.

Posts: 10502 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 wonderful Springers. Easy to train and phenomenal noses and desire. They are also wonderful companions. I envy you!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your your beautiful Springer! tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Keep coming back to this, to see that beautiful girl again. Please post an update, Eagle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16321 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pup - wish the 2 of you many great hunts!

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Springers are simply wonderful - we have worked them for the past 20 years. Currently have a 2 year b/w bitch - wonderful hunter! Looking at another mid 2022 to grow the pack!

Your girl looks wonderful! Wishing you a lot of fun and happy hours with her !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Izzy is 7 months now and a solid strong little dog. Very affectionate with everyone, just spent Xmas with our family including all five grandkids, youngest at 4 yo and she was a cuddly favourite of all. Have been out deer hunting a few times with her, no success but she tracks and hunts well. Our gamebird season does not open again until May next year so will have to wait for a bit to see how she goes on birds. She is not a bit gun shy when we have been shooting on the range, even with my 404 Jeffery bellowing. Have also been up into an alpine area with her a couple of times and she is very strong and surefooted getting over broken rock and through alpine scrub. Of course water, rain and wet grass are just heaven for her.

Having a Xmas cuddle with one of my boys.

Couple of stills taken from video when out in the field.

Izzy's mum and her litter of 12, Izzy very much like her mum, others of the litter I've seen are quite different.

Posts: 3830 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote