New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just getting done arranging and paying for my puppy's surgery. Its running into $5K with more for therapy later. All in medical cost this year will be around $7K plus $3.5K for the puppy. All in cost (food ect) I have as $12.5K for this year.

Was veterinary care always this expensive and is it this expensive for commercial animal operations - farms etc ?

Tough to complain too much given how much a hunting trip to Africa costs.

The issue I have is all the ancillary charges - every doctor wants own x-rays, the meds they give you are marked up 300-500 percent.

Has anyone used pet insurance - assume most genetic issues are already excluded?

The more I think about it owning a dog is pretty darn expensive if you are in any way financially constrained. You/family is very attached to the pet and its tough to say no to medical care.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had pet insurance since my dog got into it with porcupine. Afterwards, vet told me to buy pet insurance since they were hard bird dogs. I think your vet should have at least mentioned it unless he or she has a small staff and rather deal in cash, credit card or payment. It's more paper work for the vet office to deal with pet insuirance. A friend of mine said I was wasting money well guess what? His dog got bit by a rattle snake and it cost him $2,000.00+ and of course his wife asked about pet insurance afterwards. Last fall while duck hunting I noticed blood all over my waders and so I looked at my dog and the next thing I know, his web and pad is sliced open down to bone. Pet insurance saved me almost a $1000.00 that evening. Shop around on internet or asked your vet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense but put the dog down and start over with a healthy puppy. You have to draw the line somehwere. What kind of dog did you spend over 3.5 k on ? I'd be talking to the breeder and getting my money back.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I can understand your attachment to you dog. I've got thousands wrapped up in mine, too. They are no different than any other part of the family.

Many registration organizations have various health insurance programs. If your pup is UKC or AKC registered, those organizations should have some type of program. I don't subscribe to them myself, but they are out there.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dog is a german shepherd puppy imported from Czech Republic.

The dog has great temperament and my Mom is very attached to him. I should more correctly say it is her dog.

They did arthroscopic surgery for elbow dysplasia. He is still in pain and his gait and movement has become terrible. Now I start 3-6 months of physical therapy.

All in all it is expensive as hell - in time, effort and money.

The breeder and importer keep talking about how good their genetics are - the problem is elbow dysplasia is a genetic diseases. I don't have much time for them - they may replace with another dog or may refund money back but both are (especially the dog) not going to address issues going forward.

Putting the dog down is out of question - he is now part of the family. I personally cannot justify $20-$30K to go on safari to kill animals and not to do everything for the puppy. It has stopped become an economic equation.

Most pet insurance would not cover it, as it is genetic.

My only advice is be very careful in getting a german shepherd. The bred is my favorite but sloppy breeding has destroyed it. I though by importing a pink-papered european puppy I would get a healthy genetically well bred dog but that did not happen.

Now I am going to become an expert on physically therapy for dysplastic dogs.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JonP,
Might be of service to you.
Did you get F.C.I. pedigrees?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you this, but you are being scammed. I've seen this happened to a lot of hunting breeds and there no cure. If you doub't me, ask the vet for a guarantee or estimated time to full recovery and the percentage of recovery. Most vet's I've come across sure know to make money off of emotions. What YOU should think about is the amount of pain the dog is going through and it is NOT your fault, it's the BREEDER'S fault! It is YOUR responsibility to exposed them to F.C.I so they can put a stop to other families of what you're going through.

I am really sorry that you're going through this, I've watched friends and relatives go through this with dogs that had HD, OCD, and ED. None of them were successful unfortunately.
There are dog vet's here on this website and I am surprised they are not responding?
Perhaps you should visit vet college in the area and get a second or third opinions but whatever you do, do not mentioned your vet name or clinic until the end of the conversation and look at him or her in the eye.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Putting the dog down is out of question - he is now part of the family. I personally cannot justify $20-$30K to go on safari to kill animals and not to do everything for the puppy. It has stopped become an economic equation.

Your choice, your money, but I think you are insane. It's a dog, not a child.

In addition, I suspect the long term prognosis will not be good.

I love dogs, but spending 12.5K on one for a very doubtful result.....not now, not ever.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I love dogs, but spending 12.5K on one for a very doubtful result.....not now, not ever.

I get the point. But I and more importantly my Mom are attached to the dog.

Looks like surgery was okay - he still has a limp and i doubt that ever goes away.

Cost me another 4k in getting new fencing as he just breaks away old wood fence around my house. He is strong as a ox.

When i lived in NYC i had friends whom spent 10-15k a year on dog walkers. That made no sense to me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
I hate to tell you this, but you are being scammed. I've seen this happened to a lot of hunting breeds and there no cure. If you doub't me, ask the vet for a guarantee or estimated time to full recovery and the percentage of recovery. Most vet's I've come across sure know to make money off of emotions. What YOU should think about is the amount of pain the dog is going through and it is NOT your fault, it's the BREEDER'S fault! It is YOUR responsibility to exposed them to F.C.I so they can put a stop to other families of what you're going through.

I am really sorry that you're going through this, I've watched friends and relatives go through this with dogs that had HD, OCD, and ED. None of them were successful unfortunately.
There are dog vet's here on this website and I am surprised they are not responding?
Perhaps you should visit vet college in the area and get a second or third opinions but whatever you do, do not mentioned your vet name or clinic until the end of the conversation and look at him or her in the eye.

The surgery was done - looks like there is still a limp and expect that to be there for life. I will take him to UF animal hospital in next month.

I spent a lot of time trying to find right importer and breeder so these issues would not be there. But the issues are there and i have to deal with them.

Not happy with what has been done to the german shepherd breed. Sad what commercial breeding does to dogs.

Vets - i think medicine in us is a terrible allocation of economic capital. Pet medicine should be no different. My vet is a small practitioner and surgery was done by professional - i should have gone to university of florida animal hospital before. The costs of the surgery to someone economically disadvantaged would be an event that would force them into credit cards ect.

I will check the breeders docs and the pink paper to see if the dog or breeder is fci registered.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Was veterinary care always this expensive and is it this expensive for commercial animal operations - farms etc ?

Back in October I spent about $7K on my dog. He was at puppy day care while were on a trip, and they noticed that his stomach had flipped. They carted him to the vet for surgery, and then to a recovery center. It was touch and go, but he made it and has fully recovered.
His picture is here:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9021043/m/1421012002

Also, it is much, much more expensive for commercial animals. One of my dad's thoroughbreds fractured her leg during a race. It was a very successful mare, so a decision was made to save her for breeding purposes. She was saved at a cost that was probably in six figures. Well, worth it though based on the successful offsprings that were produced later on.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could afford to spend that kind of money on one of my dog's, I would in a heart beat. Stupid thing to do because after all it's a dog. But it's really not just a dog, it's MY dog!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
682, I sympathize with you. Although I would not spend that much to fix a dog, I understand why you did it. I got lucky. My GSD is full blood that a fellow paid SEVERAL hundred dollars for. He ended up not being able to care for him, so he offered him to me. I offered him money and he would not take it.

Now I have about $1600 into the dog for proper training and expect to pay that much more for future training. He is basic and advanced obedience trained as well as three levels of agility. The agility was to keep his mind occupied during the winter. Next we are on to tracking and search and rescue. This will take a few years to complete to where he can be a rescue dog, but I don't have kids at home any more, so I have the time.

I hope this all works out for you!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hound friends say never pay more for a dog then you can afford to shoot.

I personally would not have spent that kind of money a dog.

Your cash spend it the way you want.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing to University of Florida to get this hips x-rayed and reviewed. Hoping there is no hip issues but i am worried about the right hip.

I wish i did not like my dog so much but i do.

Hoping i can fix these issues while he is still young and he can have a pain free life.

No happy that i went thru all the issues of importing to have minimal health issues and i got them by the boatload.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I completely understand your feelings,I have a lot of dogs and this Eng.Cocker , ''Mr Clyde''bringing in the money bird,is my favorite ...he has a metal pelvis and no ball or ball joint on his right rear leg , but I will put him up against any with his hunting ability plus he throws great pups..and glad that I went through the vet cost with him..he is just family..wish you good luck with yours

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Then you have no business owning a dog, IMO. You take them on as a commitment, not a convenience.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope your boy makes out OK. Some things you just
shouldn't add up.
I have three labs in the retriever games. Talk about a
shitload of money pissed off. But I don't see it that way.
My top dog was given to me. When you get a pup you take
your chances.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent the day at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital.

The fear of hip dysplasia was confirmed by x-rays. So now he has hip and elbow dysplasia on all four legs. The front legs have been operated on and are much better.

The good news is that the hip dysplasia is very mild and there is no need for surgery. The orthopedic surgeon said no issues nothing surgery wise for at least next 5-6 years and pain and discomfort should go away by 2 years of age. She said dog is a dog and does not know anything about what dysplasia is.

Have to keep weight in control but the little guy has no food drive. Keeping him lean should be easy. Exercise to strengthen back legs and swimming - the pool will get some use all year round. I will need to buy a wet suite for winter.

Overall better than I expected - no big surgery.

Very impressed by UF Vet school and Small Animal hospital - was nicer and more professional than most people hospitals.

P*ssed off that I went thru all the issues of importing a german shepherd that was "pink papered" and had 5 generations of clear hips to have hips issues which are genetic in nature. European breed registration looks to be as big a joke as the AKC. I would be very careful importing a german shepherd puppy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Sounds like good news to me!
Also sounds like you and the pup
are going to have a lot of fun together.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Spent the day at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital.

The fear of hip dysplasia was confirmed by x-rays. So now he has hip and elbow dysplasia on all four legs. The front legs have been operated on and are much better.

Fully agree on the UF vet facility...I have used them several times

The good news is that the hip dysplasia is very mild and there is no need for surgery. The orthopedic surgeon said no issues nothing surgery wise for at least next 5-6 years and pain and discomfort should go away by 2 years of age. She said dog is a dog and does not know anything about what dysplasia is.

Have to keep weight in control but the little guy has no food drive. Keeping him lean should be easy. Exercise to strengthen back legs and swimming - the pool will get some use all year round. I will need to buy a wet suite for winter.

Overall better than I expected - no big surgery.

Very impressed by UF Vet school and Small Animal hospital - was nicer and more professional than most people hospitals.

P*ssed off that I went thru all the issues of importing a german shepherd that was "pink papered" and had 5 generations of clear hips to have hips issues which are genetic in nature. European breed registration looks to be as big a joke as the AKC. I would be very careful importing a german shepherd puppy.

Mike

Fully agree on the UF vet facility...I have used them several times with postive results...it is a first class operation

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe in Czech Repubik the F.C.I. doesn't mean anything to them.
You can or should send digital x-rays of HD and ED to the parent breed club
in Germany, that is the least you could do and expose the breeder!!!
Most of the K9 for law enforcement are coming out of Czech Republik
and there has been a 90% rejection rate
I wonder why Malonias are more popular or the current trend?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beretta682E,
I am glad to hear that your dog is doing well.
By the way, did the vet suggested that you feed Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM?
If so, don't buy the expensive pet brand, buy human grade brand such as Doctor's
BEST, WWW.DRBVITAMINS.COM, I've seen it work on hunting Rhodesian Ridgeback and I wouldn't have believed it unless I witness it and now I even take it myself after having back and shoulder surgery and it works!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Norseman.

Three of my dogs and I are getting older. We'll share the meds. Big Grin

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
Thanks for the tip Norseman.

Three of my dogs and I are getting older. We'll share the meds. Big Grin

+1

I will buy the human grade version.

Thanks

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luv2safari:
quote:
quote:

Then you have no business owning a dog, IMO. You take them on as a commitment, not a convenience.

Your opinion is worth less than it costs.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Beretta682E,

I have a geriatric (11yr) Gordon Setter that has 2 TPLO's (rear knee CCL corrections) at about 8 he started really showing some signs of arthritis as I suspect your pup may. We did prescription diet, did no good and made us poor. But then we started with an omega 3-6-9 supplement and Duralactin (modified milk protein that stops white blood cell based inflammation as in most common arthritis) Within 3 days my 8 yr old dog was a puppy again. We hunted 3 more seasons and may this year too. I'd start the omegas now and think about Duralactin if you start to see any stiffening or soreness. I'm not a vet but have been through a lot with my "family" and have had others i've told about Duralactin tell me similar stories. I feed a human grade raw diet too. Make sure your dog grows slow. Start on Range Of Motion exercises if your friends at FL say it's a good idea as this has made a big difference for Cooper too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
18 months - getting much better in gait, motion and movement. Still has a bunny hop.

Has zero food drive, very low protective drive. Very friendly and well socialized. Loves to play with other dogs.

His protection service is his looks - just scares people. Few realize all he wants to do to is play.

This coming at most people who don't know him is scary.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad everything worked out
Looks like he's a lot of fun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey 682

Do you take him swimming?

Fantastic low impact exercise.

And along with Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM give him fish oil (1000mg capsules), fantastic for joint pain.

If he is going in for surgery lay off the fish oil as it can make him bleed more.

I hope you realise you can never breed with him?

Regards
Deafdog

Posts: 267 | Location: Far North Coast of NSW, Australia | Registered: 14 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by De@fdog:
Hey 682

Do you take him swimming?

Fantastic low impact exercise.

And along with Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM give him fish oil (1000mg capsules), fantastic for joint pain.

If he is going in for surgery lay off the fish oil as it can make him bleed more.

I hope you realise you can never breed with him?

Regards
Deafdog

Deafdog

Not surgery is needed. He gets MSM and fish oil.

Swimming in the summers. He has a 32 by 32 ft pool to himself. Only problem in being a german shepherd he sheds a ton. The pool guy has to work along with me in keeping the filters clean.

Am not going to breed him. I have yet to decide if I am going to fix him. Not going to fix him for next 12 months at least - till he is done fully growing. Since he does not get to roam - not worries of him knocking anyone up.

Mike