New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animal Abuse?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some lady posted a video of her with her dog.

The dog jumped up on her, so she slapped it (it was a really big dog).

Now the LAPD is considering pressing animal abuse charges (due mostly to public outcry).

Our world has gone crazy. A little corporeal punishment can go a long way in preventing out-of-control animals..

As using any kind of force to train dogs becomes more and more out-of-favor, more people are getting bit by dogs, and more and more dogs wind up in shelters where they are put to death.

Like Benjamin Franklin wrote, "Spare the rod and spoil the child". That goes double for dogs.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If we are talking about the same woman, which was in the media recently, this is j8s plane bullshit!

The world has gone MAD!

Police investigating this sort of thing?

While bigger crimes go unpunished!!??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If we are talking about the same woman, which was in the media recently, this is j8s plane bullshit!

The world has gone MAD!

Police investigating this sort of thing?

While bigger crimes go unpunished!!??

Not to mention the number of dogs shot by cops just wanting to bust a cap or two.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a staunch supporter of law enforcement but the number of cops shooting dogs, at least here in Texas lately, is out of control.

Just last week, there was a 911 call in Arlington of a woman who seemed unresponsive laying in the grass of a local park. New policeman, on the force for 2 months responded. The lady had a dog that trotted toward the officer but was not acting in an aggressive manner. He emptied his pistol on the dog, even after it turned around and ran back to the lady. Thing is, he hit the woman in the chest and killed her.

Saeed, didn't you post a video a short time back of a cop shooting some guy's Chihuahua in the front yard when he went to the door to ask the resident for info?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep I remember that video

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My point is all this so called “social media” is nothing but SICK MINDED IDIOTS pushing their stupid agendas!

Common sense no longer exists!

Misbehaving animals - like humans - should be made aware of it being unacceptable.

But of course, in our modern days, every unacceptable behavior puts the blame on someone else!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I'm 72 now and have helped train or trained dogs since I was 6 years old. I presently own six dogs, two old hunting veterans about to walk over the rainbow bridge, one middle-aged female out of the old dogs, a 3 year old WPG ( a sweetheart and good hunter), an old cairn terrier, and a 6 month old Llewellin setter male, Woody.

Not one of these dogs, save for Buster the terrier, has ever had an attitude problem, but with all of them I had to use a bit of a whack on the rump to reinforce training.

I'm probably the softest touch around when it comes to dogs and affection, but even our beloved children need a pop on the butt sometime along the way.

Your comment is spot on, and I'm a veteran dog whisperer and know of where I speak.

I firmly believe that electronic collars are better used on humans. Wink

Old Rocky to young Woody: Kid, it's time to teach you Quail 101.

No kid, that's not a quail.

Come this way...

OVER HERE!! There's quail smell all over...

Well, pointing quail poop is a great start, kid. tu2

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I saw a female on the local news last night put her Shi Tzu, or similar size dog, in the clothes drier and torn it on for at least 6 seconds. No excuse for that. The bitch was dumb enough to video it and post it online. Needless to say, police are investigating.

The DA’s office created a special unit for crimes against animals and it was needed.

Todd, I do remember that story from Arlington and just terrible.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to move to a German model where if one wants to own a dog one has to get licensed.

There are way too many stupid people in this country. Idiots owning dogs and other pets does little for society or the poor animals.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
We need to move to a German model where if one wants to own a dog one has to get licensed.

There are way too many stupid people in this country. Idiots owning dogs and other pets does little for society or the poor animals.

Mike

How bout we not continue to infringe upon our freedoms beyond what has been done already!

License required to own a dog? Not only no but FUCK NO!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Mike

How bout we not continue to infringe upon our freedoms beyond what has been done already!

That gets you this

https://www.dmagazine.com/publ...e-stray-dog-problem/

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I get it. There are problems with unwanted dogs in certain areas. There are irresponsible people who have dogs. We have 6 dogs, 5 which are rescues. The last 2 we got were obviously abused with one having one eye and the other having a severely deformed right front leg from an untreated break.

There are also irresponsible people who have children but I'm not for requiring people to get a license from the government to have babies.

I am not, have never been, and never will be of the ilk that life's challenges can all be solved by the government forcing the populace to pay it a fee or tax in return for permission to enjoy life's offerings.

What that leads to my friend are things like The Green New Deal, etc. where the government tells you what size house to live in, what temperature to set the air conditioner or heater to, what you can and can't eat (vegans pushing their agenda anyone?), what type of car you can drive (electric unless you have a valid qualified reason for a petro burner), what type of guns I can own, etc.

A much better option is for the government to stay the hell out of as much of our lives as possible. In that regard, they've gone way too far already. I'd rather live free in a society with flaws than live an authoritarian existence whereby the elites get to dictate the nature of our existence. It starts with little things and progresses down a slippery slope, as we have seen. Requiring a license from the government in order to own a dog is preposterous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get it. There are problems with unwanted dogs in certain areas. There are irresponsible people who have dogs. We have 6 dogs, 5 which are rescues. The last 2 we got were obviously abused with one having one eye and the other having a severely deformed right front leg from an untreated break.

There are also irresponsible people who have children but I'm not for requiring people to get a license from the government to have babies.

I am not, have never been, and never will be of the ilk that life's challenges can all be solved by the government forcing the populace to pay it a fee or tax in return for permission to enjoy life's offerings.

What that leads to my friend are things like The Green New Deal, etc. where the government tells you what size house to live in, what temperature to set the air conditioner or heater to, what you can and can't eat (vegans pushing their agenda anyone?), what type of car you can drive (electric unless you have a valid qualified reason for a petro burner), what type of guns I can own, etc.

A much better option is for the government to stay the hell out of as much of our lives as possible. In that regard, they've gone way too far already. I'd rather live free in a society with flaws than live an authoritarian existence whereby the elites get to dictate the nature of our existence. It starts with little things and progresses down a slippery slope, as we have seen. Requiring a license from the government in order to own a dog is preposterous.

You do know you would not be allowed legally have 6 dogs in Houston. Welcome to Texas Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36539 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

tu2

https://www.houstontx.gov/barc...ensing_your_pet.html

Time to lead the charge Lane Wink

First pets then guns.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

That gets you this

https://www.dmagazine.com/publ...e-stray-dog-problem/

Mike

Mike,

That area of Dallas has many more problems than dogs. It is like our own little version of Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. There have been moves because certain areas have become “hip” on the fringe and even more so since that article.

Recently, the crimes have been so bad that the Governor, at the request of DPD, loaned state troopers to assist due to declining DPD numbers. I’m not sure about Florida, but date troopers here don’t F around. The numbers of arrests, citations, drug and weapons seizures have skyrocketed. Of course, the citizens are claiming racial profiling (well, the vast majority of the residents in that area are ‘of color’) and want the troopers gone.

Don’t get me wrong, as I am a criminal defense attorney and believe in the constitutional rights afforded against those accused of crimes, but I also believe in safe communities and the troopers are just doing their job. It’s also unlikely any of those arrested would retain me as counsel, but would have court appointed representation.

Back to the dog situation. Just like gun owners, dog owners must be responsible. For example, dogs run free in the towns of Argentina and they mate like rabbits. Whenever I would stay in town with my girlfriend and go for a jog. I would have to sometimes find another gear when chased!

Another local story is about a mechanic who worked out of his backyard. No, it was not the cleanest, but he had many parts and tools. To protect his business, he had three dogs back there. A sixteen year old kid trespassed, his intent unknown as the dogs did what they were there to do and the kid died. Officers arrived and shot one dog and quarantined the others. The owner was visibly upset when interviewed. If he had money, I’m sure he would get sued for allowing his dogs to kill a kid who probably had nefarious intentions.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You do know you would not be allowed legally have 6 dogs in Houston. Welcome to Texas Wink

Mike

I don’t think Todd would EVER want to live in Houston.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
quote:

Mike

I don’t think Todd would EVER want to live in Houston.

True but Houston is how I got familiar with dog licensing. Couple of guys I have duck hunted with violate Houston dog regulations on a regular basis. I was told Houston restricts owners to 3 dogs. Limit to 3 is a lot more restrictive than just a license.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I don't live in Houston. I also don't live in Moscow or Caracas.

I live in Rural Texas where people tend to leave each other alone to live their life the way they see fit. I don't tell my neighbors what they can and can't do and they don't tell me.

Out here, we don't ascribe to the philosophy that the government solves problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The left is doing their best to normalize a totalitarian government.

Most state and federal government organizations are the most incompetent and ineffective entities around.

They need to stay out of our every day lives.

As for the kid that was killed by the guard dogs, I assume he had to break in or scale a fence to get to where the dogs could get to him?

If so, then good riddance, Darwinism at work.

Too bad, lawyers can take those types of incidents and get rich off of them.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
The left is doing their best to normalize a totalitarian government.

Most state and federal government organizations are the most incompetent and ineffective entities around.

They need to stay out of our every day lives.

As for the kid that was killed by the guard dogs, I assume he had to break in or scale a fence to get to where the dogs could get to him?

If so, then good riddance, Darwinism at work.

Too bad, lawyers can take those types of incidents and get rich off of them.

BH63

Yes, he did scale a fence in the wee hours of the morning.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
Some lady posted a video of her with her dog.

The dog jumped up on her, so she slapped it (it was a really big dog).

Now the LAPD is considering pressing animal abuse charges (due mostly to public outcry).

Our world has gone crazy. A little corporeal punishment can go a long way in preventing out-of-control animals..

As using any kind of force to train dogs becomes more and more out-of-favor, more people are getting bit by dogs, and more and more dogs wind up in shelters where they are put to death.

Like Benjamin Franklin wrote, "Spare the rod and spoil the child". That goes double for dogs.

BH63

The demographic changes in the USA the last few decades have destroyed social capital & trust, and have made humans less likely to bond with fellow humans. But people still feel the desire to have a social bond and thus invest much more in human/pet relationships than did folk in Legacy USA. And childless women need something to baby. We see this in the folks who natter on about "my fur baby" and being a "dog mom" and the like. To these sorts, administering corporal punishment to a dog on video is akin to slapping down a child on video. And to some folks any corporal punishment is abuse. So the diseased mental math has transmogrified a reasonable corporal correction to a large dog that requires a stern hand into ~CHILD ABUSE.

Get used to it, more is coming.

quote:

Aside from the liberty concerns...

Only those who don't need to be licensed will comply. And those that don't comply--if they are of a particular demographic--will not face the consequences of breaking the dog licensure ordinance.

As for the linked article, that situation has gotten worse. The packs have killed and eaten full grown adults. Sure, vagrants weak from their life in the alleyways, drugs, dissipation, and such, but still--full grown adults. Folk in those places do not want to be policed, regulated, or otherwise have order imposed. One more silly ordinance will be ignored.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local...ter-attack/179143728
https://www.dallasobserver.com...oot-the-dogs-8286381
quote:
Brown is the 52-year-old lady savagely attacked by loose dogs in Dallas a week ago, bitten 100 times. “They ate her like they was eating a steak,” Brown’s mother told Sarah Mervosh of The Dallas Morning News. Yesterday, after Brown had been kept alive for a week in a medically induced coma at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, she was removed from life support and died.

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do believe in corporal punishment for misbehavior in dogs with appropriate force. I also believe in e-collar training for bird dogs. However, I can’t recall the last time I had to physically discipline my 7.5 year old lab. She knows when she has done wrong and my time of voice and stare confirm she knows she was bad.

There is Sone real abuse out there and you know it when you see it. The same goes with child abuse.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I do believe in corporal punishment for misbehavior in dogs with appropriate force. I also believe in e-collar training for bird dogs. However, I can’t recall the last time I had to physically discipline my 7.5 year old lab. She knows when she has done wrong and my time of voice and stare confirm she knows she was bad.

That is the beauty of corporal punishment. If you use it sparingly, at the correct time, and with just the right amount of force; it’s one and done!

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is Sone real abuse out there and you know it when you see it. The same goes with child abuse.

Our late, lamented female GSP only required one mild corporal correction to get the message. Snake proofing with an electronic collar? Only needed one run-through and she was good for life. Chasing chickens? One swat on the backside and no more of that the rest of her life. And she, too, most always responded to verbal instructions or warnings before a swat was needed.

But not all dogs are like that. Some are hard-headed and some try to be dominant over my own self or another human in the household. Our big, tough, male GSP needed much more frequent and much more vigorous correction. If I went after the female GSP like I went after the male GSP, that would have been abuse on her, reasonable correction on him.

So when I see corporal punishment--to critters or kids--I am loath to react in the moment. What I think excessive may be what prevents (in the future) a dog bite, a dog getting killed running off into the street, a kid from becoming a menace, or the like.

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The city I lived in in California not only limited citizens to three dogs, they also require a LICENSE. No license, no dogs.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
The city I lived in in California Kalifornia not only limited citizens to three dogs, they also require a LICENSE. No license, no dogs.

Fixed it for you.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
The city I lived in in California Kalifornia not only limited citizens to three dogs, they also require a LICENSE. No license, no dogs.

Fixed it for you.

Marcus Cady

DRSS